• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

mod swap door handle help...

87_notchfox

justr another notch among the rest...
Donator
i am almost complete with my 87 to sn95 swap motor interior and all. but my issue right now is the door handles because the foxs is a push type and the sn95 is a pull type. i know people have made the door handles work with the old stuff and some have just changed the hole locking stuff. i just want to see how people have done them so i can finish mine its my last biggest thing for my interior. any help would be good

87_notchfox

Donator
well i been looking for pics or maybe ideas but its so hard because it seems like no one likes to help out...but who should i ask about the doors so i can try to get that portion of my car done and over with...lol

modularf

Let me see if I can find it...Just got back from Vacation.. Lots of work to catch up on...

87_notchfox

Donator
i saw the pics but he did the outside handle i need 2 see how he did the inside if he uses the old fox latches and not the sn95 ones

4eyedcoupe

Donator
Yea, I was pointing out a thread on somebody who has done it that might be willing to help you. Try corral.net if you haven't already. I bet you will find someonethere to help you out.

87_notchfox

Donator
well i have gone around but it seems like no one really likes to help out or say how they did there stuff...like they kind of want people to struggle or something

myers407

Staff member
Sorry for not getting back sooner. I am the one that did the out side handles. I will be glad to help you out, it's just been a bit crazy lately. On my car I did the compleat swap. I did the outside as seen in the pictures and on the inside I used the SN latches. I will be happy to post some pictures. It was not a hard swap and a very small amout of modifucation. I did have to elongate the slot in the door for the newer latch and drill new holes. Then mount the striker side on the car. I found this to be the best option. Other methods involve making an elibrate hinge to change the motion of the door pull. Most have a lot of problems with it. I was able to retain the power locks and door swich for the lights as well.
Stricker side
mustangwork011-6.jpg

Door side
mustangwork008-8.jpg
from the inside
mustangwork009-8.jpg

Inside handle
mustangwork007-9.jpg
I hope that this helps, but feel free to contact me with any questions.

87_notchfox

Donator
actually it does some because i have seen people do it the way u have but they never show how they did it or say its easier this way...so thanks for the pics but i have the fox handles still on my car so i would have to use the sn95 outside door handles and get another driver side latch because i cut and tried to use it to make my fox latches work...but to find all the metal to get it done is going to be the issue now i thnk.

myers407

Staff member
You can use the Fox outside handles. You should just have to rebend the rods and use the end link form the later model latch. Ill try to get a picture of this if I can. On mine I had to cut off about 4 inches and tread the end of the rod. With a bit of tweeking to the bends in the rod the units work great. The big problem that you will have with the Fox latch is the inside handle. Using the method that I did will forgo the big problems. The outer handes on mine were done simply for the appearence.

87_notchfox

Donator
yeah because i have power everything working on my car with the 96 harness but the biggest thing is just my door handles and when i bought the inside handles i didnt get the piece of metal they are mounted on. but if u could take pics and show me how u did the insides of your doors that would help me out because thats the last thing for my interior besides getting all the pieces fiberglassed together.

myers407

Staff member
Not sure of your metal woring skills but you should be able to get some 18guage sheet metal from the hardware store and make some mounting pads. If not go to the bone yard and find a car with some busted up doors and take the swazall to them. The piece that I cut out was about the size of a sauccer. I then welded them in place on the fox doors. That is what is shown in one of the pictures above. This was the best metod that I have seen.

87_notchfox

Donator
yeah i have to try that...i posted a ad on craigslist for some busted up doors to cut up.

myers407

Staff member
Just let me know what you need pictures of and Ill be glad to help you out. The worst part of the job is finding the correct spot to weld the inner handles at. That will vary with the way you cut in your dash and door panels.

87_notchfox

Donator
well i ordered all the parts to do the swap like you even the outer door handles but u said i can make my fox outer hanldes work so i am going to try that first.

myers407

Staff member
Unless you want to do some welding and body work I would encourage you to use the Fox outers. They should not be too hard to get them working. Both the SN and Fox outers work the same. It's only the inners that are diffrent.

87_notchfox

Donator
yeah but i need to see the inside a bit better to make mine work brcause i saw u are using a different locking motor then me