• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Navigator 5.4 DOHC or Mark VIII DOHC?

I am looking for donor vehicles and noticed I can get a Navigator for about the same price as a Mark VIII. Aside from the size difference between the 4.6 and the 5.4, what other differences are there (as far as the swap is concerned)?

If I go with the Navigator, could I use a 2WD Navigator trans?

Thanks
Jon

Speedtospare

The 4.6 and 5.4 share the same bolt patterns for many transmission's if you thinking of going manual. Biggest issue will be the height of the 5.4 intake. There are only a few intakes that dont require a big cowl hood

Someone on this website mentioned that the coyote boss 302 intake can be modded slightly to fit 4V heads on a 5.4 base.

I might want to go manual eventually. I want to get as much use out of parts from the donor car first. Like every other project, I have a limited budget.

With this in mind, I'd like to use the donor trans and ecu. It is my understanding that I can use a 2v mustang ecu if/when I switch to a manual trans. Will there be any issues swapping the donor (dohc, auto) ecu for the soch, manual ecu?

I guess my question about the Navi trans is, is it the same as the mark Viii trans, and will it fit in a foxbody trans tunnel?

What kind of hood clearance issues are people facing? Will I need a ridiculously tall cowl hood, or can I use a small-ish one that will look more or less stock?

Speedtospare

I have an Auto Mach 1 tranny on my 6 speed manual fox set. The ecu is a my weak point, but fro my understanding you need the ecu for a modern transmission, but not for an older non computer controlled trans.

Not sure of the total height of the Navi intake. To run a cobra motor with screw/roots supercharger in a fox you need a 3" cowl.