• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

bd93cobra

Just wanted to introduce myself and say I haven't found so much good information on one site. I currently have a wrecked '03 cobra and can't decide whether to find a new edge or swap the drivetrain into my fox. What's everyone's thoughts ?

Bill

Staff member
Donator
The SN-95/New Edge installation is only slightly easier. The conversion really doesn't give you much resale value compared to the installation into a Fox. If you do the show and cruise scene, the attention a termi-fox will garner compared to the New Edge is huge. Since you have the complete donor, you have virtually everything you need to do the build. How bad is the 03 bent?

bd93cobra

The SN-95/New Edge installation is only slightly easier. The conversion really doesn't give you much resale value compared to the installation into a Fox. If you do the show and cruise scene, the attention a termi-fox will garner compared to the New Edge is huge. Since you have the complete donor, you have virtually everything you need to do the build. How bad is the 03 bent?
The driver side fwd frame rail is crushed, rocker panel bent, firewall is wrinkled, a-arm bent not sure about the k-member....the insurance company stopped adding at $17K worth of damage.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Plan on replacing the Kmember and some of the small stuff inside that drivers fender area. Sounds like a great donor car for a Fox conversion.

bd93cobra

Can you retain all the OBDII functionality (tuning /diagnostic/monitoring) if you retain the fox instrument cluster /dash wiring? I know I'll have to deal with the speedometer .

Last edited:

Bill

Staff member
Donator
In theory yes, but that would be a pretty good trick. another option for keeping the Fox cash is to use the donor wiring and either rework the back side of the Fox cluster (there is an example of that on here) or use the donor wiring and a custom cluster with mounted instruments (there are several companies that can make them).

bd93cobra

It looks like most people are replacing the dash when they do the Mod swap. Before I decide to take the plunge I'm trying to find out the limitations of retaining the fox dash. I'm currently not sold on the New Edge interior in a Fox but it definitely seams like that's the better option.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
You don't have to replace the interior or the dash. There are compromises we make to get what we want. One of them is the interchange of the wiring between new and old. I am not a wiring guy, but I know it can be done. There are some wiring diagrams on here that will show you how to do a minimal wiring installation, but I don't know if they retain plug and play OBD II functions. Even if they don't, you can still upload tunes manually into the loose computer like a preload. On my projects, I always have help with the wiring, or do the complete harness swap. If you don't mind doing a little splicing, the donor harness with a custom cluster is not a bad way to go http://www.florida50.com/1987-1993-instrument-clusters.htm. It really depends on what you like and where your skills and available assistance lie. My advice in a project of this size is to cash a reality check. How long can you put up with it being all apart? How many hours can you actually put into it? Do you have the support/need the support of those around you? What is your budget over time? Are you willing to develop the skills necessary to do what you want to do? If not, can you get help? This kind of build is about a car that is designed around your personal tastes. What do you like? What do you want the machine to do? What will the car spend the vast majority of its life cycle doing (daily driver, weekend aggressive street driving, drag racing, autocross, open track, cruise and/or show)? It could be a combination of all of these, but cars that have to live a combination life (like most of ours) are made up of compromises. If you haven't already, put some serious thought into what reality will be with the car and what you want it to be able to do. Then decide what you want it to look like (which parts you like the best). Those choices will dictate you compromises.

whiteponygt

I have the stock Fox dash with a 96 cobra swap I used all the donor harness, made life way easier after two attempts to retain the Fox harness. I will say it took me two weeks to swap motor trans and rear axle over but it took me almost 3weeks of splicing heat shrinking and chasing wires

bd93cobra

You don't have to replace the interior or the dash. There are compromises we make to get what we want. One of them is the interchange of the wiring between new and old. I am not a wiring guy, but I know it can be done. There are some wiring diagrams on here that will show you how to do a minimal wiring installation, but I don't know if they retain plug and play OBD II functions. Even if they don't, you can still upload tunes manually into the loose computer like a preload. On my projects, I always have help with the wiring, or do the complete harness swap. If you don't mind doing a little splicing, the donor harness with a custom cluster is not a bad way to go http://www.florida50.com/1987-1993-instrument-clusters.htm. It really depends on what you like and where your skills and available assistance lie. My advice in a project of this size is to cash a reality check. How long can you put up with it being all apart? How many hours can you actually put into it? Do you have the support/need the support of those around you? What is your budget over time? Are you willing to develop the skills necessary to do what you want to do? If not, can you get help? This kind of build is about a car that is designed around your personal tastes. What do you like? What do you want the machine to do? What will the car spend the vast majority of its life cycle doing (daily driver, weekend aggressive street driving, drag racing, autocross, open track, cruise and/or show)? It could be a combination of all of these, but cars that have to live a combination life (like most of ours) are made up of compromises. If you haven't already, put some serious thought into what reality will be with the car and what you want it to be able to do. Then decide what you want it to look like (which parts you like the best). Those choices will dictate you compromises.
I answered these questions 15 years ago when I decided to go with a 408W in this same '93 cobra. It has since gone through a freshen up. After exposed to the performance of the supercharged 4V I am starting to rethink things . The car is currently setup more as a drag car but it is driven more on the street as a cruiser.

bd93cobra

I have the stock Fox dash with a 96 cobra swap I used all the donor harness, made life way easier after two attempts to retain the Fox harness. I will say it took me two weeks to swap motor trans and rear axle over but it took me almost 3weeks of splicing heat shrinking and chasing wires
Did you retain the fox cluster or install the '96 cobra cluster? Does it retain all the OBD II functionality?

Last edited:

ModFoxMustangs

Staff member
Just wanted to introduce myself and say I haven't found so much good information on one site. I currently have a wrecked '03 cobra and can't decide whether to find a new edge or swap the drivetrain into my fox. What's everyone's thoughts ?
Welcome and hope you enjoy your stay.