• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Regret?

Brad

At what point if you did, did you regret doing the mod motor for the first time? I'm at that point now. Started tearing down my donor motor and it is so different than a pushrod 302.

Svt Fox

Staff member
At what point if you did, did you regret doing the mod motor for the first time? I'm at that point now. Started tearing down my donor motor and it is so different than a pushrod 302.

Never. The 4V modular engine is one of the most aesthetically pleasing engines to look at.. In the top 3 for sure.

Yea, you could go LSx just as easily and make more power initially, however they don't give that "wow" factor when you pop the hood.

If it were easy, it wouldn't be cool!

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
Regret never, its all worth it when you get to drive something that you built. That day was today for me lol. Now i cant wait to finish it all up.

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
This coming Feb. i have had my car for three years, it sat in back of the garage for awhile before i got started, but now since im this close it would take something major for me to give the old sled up. I cant wait to show off my hard work and all the work that i got friends. There is just something about raising the hood and seeing a new age motor in a older fox car. Everyone wants to know well how did you do that and how did you make this, and the last thing they always say is " I didnt even think someone could do that". Its a great feeling when you impress yourself along with others by doing something thats NOT supposed to be done lol. So dont give up the reward definately out weighs the regret in the end. Good luck and post your progress and ANY questions dont be afraid to ask, we are here to help if we can.

Speedtospare

Agreed. This is a great swap. The most difficult part is money output and the wiring IMO. I had to get help along the way. It took me 1.6 years to complete my swap from start to finish. They key thing is keep working on it. Even 1 hour every other night will add up over time.

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
I agree with speedtospare take your time and take breaks from it when needed dont burn yourself out. Take like a week or so in between things, it helps.

Ricfox

Hey guys I've seen some of the cars on here and it really gets me motivated. I know people use different things on parts but I hv a complete and running 98 cobra and 86 svo too. But I don't like the style of the cobra and would like to transfer everything over but would like to see a parts list some where. If someone can help please and thanks.

Svt Fox

Staff member
Hey guys I've seen some of the cars on here and it really gets me motivated. I know people use different things on parts but I hv a complete and running 98 cobra and 86 svo too. But I don't like the style of the cobra and would like to transfer everything over but would like to see a parts list some where. If someone can help please and thanks.

I'd like to answer your question but need more specifics.

Do you just want to swap the engine and trans only?

Ultimately what do you want the car to do? Cruiser? Drag? Street Brawler? Auto-X?

Doing a little and waiting a week works best, it can be extremely overwhelming with the amount of work required to make the swap functional. No regrets though I cannot wait to get it done.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I didn't regret the first one at all. I only changed what absolutely had to be changed to make it work. On the other hand, the project I have now had some unfortunate life-events get in the way. Those events have necessitated moving the expected completion date to end of summer 2014. If I had know in advance, I might not have started it, but now that I can't change that I don't regret it. When it's done, I'll have an 86 wide body convertible with a complete 99 Cobra retro fit, tube front suspension, and upgrades to almost every system.

WAYYYYYY off topic, but I couldn't resist.

The 4V modular engine is one of the most aesthetically pleasing engines to look at.. In the top 3 for sure.

Not in any particular order....

Ferrari 4 cam V12 with 6 weber carbs
Ferrari4cam.jpg

Any year Chrysler Hemi (them valve covers are beautiful.
street-hemi.jpg

SOHC 427 (them valve covers are beautiful)
Fordcammer.jpg

Boss 429
Boss_429.jpg

Ford flathead
ford-flathead.jpg

Tri power "W" motor (348 or 409)
tripowerW.jpg

FuturaGuy

Staff member
Great pictures of engines. I have on my computer at work a picture someone sent me of a '32 Ford high boy roadster with an ARDUN conversion on a flathead. It's a work of art.

Getting back on topic, I never once regretted doing the Mod Motor conversion. There were a number of times, however, when I asked myself, "How the HELL am I going to make this work?"

Speedtospare

What kind of wiring speed bumps did you run into speedtospare

Basically taking the manual and weeding out any wiring I didn't need. I have a funny pick of me covered in wiring that was left over from the swap. I wanted to remove all wiring that wasn't needed. Eventually I felt the time spend re-wiring everything was a waste of time. I ordered a custom harness and (sigh which also had to be modified) and installed in less time than I had in my incomplete oem harness.