• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Starter Help

rusqtsi

Need some assistance getting the starter to run.

Here is the scenario:

1- 89 mustang standard tranny
2- 04 cobra engine
3- Ron Francis wiring MK-97

Pumps are priming, lights are on, but wont crank.

I had to tap in to the ignition source red/lg wire.

If i take the screw driver route by touching both post on the starter solenoid the started will turn the engine otherwise it wont work.

Look at the pics and tell me where i went wrong.

Thanks in advanced.

Rock has been helping me but i figure to post it in case someone knows.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    349.1 KB · Views: 51
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    581.7 KB · Views: 46

whiteponygt

I guess first question is the solenid new or used and can you post a pick of the starter and it's wiring

rusqtsi

I guess first question is the solenid new or used and can you post a pick of the starter and it's wiring

Yes is new and the starter is wired just like the picture i drew... hard to take a pic under there.. everyone tells me the starter is wired correctly and that the issue is somewhere else..

I tested 12v at the ignition white/pink wire. Also tested 12v at the white/pink wire at the black connection under the kick panel.. both at run and start positions.

FuturaGuy

Staff member
After your phone call this morning, I think we've found the problem. The back-up light switch on the transmission has two circuits, one for the back-up lights and the other to prevent the car from starting unless it's in PARK or NEUTRAL but only if it has automatic transmission. If it has a manual transmission, the white/pink wire and the red/blue wire are jumpered to each other. The electrical connector is the same whether the car is automatic or manual so I suspect the switches themselves are different and the manual transmission switch has the jumper internal to the switch. Since your car had a T-5 and the switch connector is completely different than the one on a T-56, there was nothing to connect to and you weren't getting power at the solenoid. Connect the white/pink wire and the red/blue wire together and it should work.

rusqtsi

I couldn't sleep until I had that taken care off. I jumped those wires by touching the 2 corresponding connectors inside the connector and voila power to the starter solenoid. At the same time I jumped the other 2 and the back up lights worked.

Now I have to make a pretty connection. Will post pics once done.

Rock thanks for the help identifying wires under the drivers kick panel.

rusqtsi

Also going back the the original starter wiring. As you have posted on the wiring section. One wire from starter to cold side of starter solenoid in the apron and a small jumper at the starter from small stud to large stud.

Ah the power of the internet and new found forums friends.

Rock. I may let you meet the woman in my avatar. May!!!!