• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Tablet as a car deck in the modfox

Speedtospare

This will document my project of replacing the deck (or lack there of) in my 1993 Modfox. It will be replaced with a 7" Android tablet.

MY CAR
1993 LX Coupe, mod motor, 6 speed, scares the panties off the cobra owners.

MY CAR AUDIO
JL 300/4 Amp
JL 250/1 Amp
Rockford Fosgate Punch Pro Series PP8-T 1.5" tweeter (front)
Rockford Fosgate PPS4-6 6.5" Single 4 Ohm Mid-Bass Driver (front)
MMATS Pro Audio Soft dome tweeter (front)
Infinity 6.5 Mid and tweeter combo set (rear)
2 no-name 10" subs from Logitech Z-5500 computer speakers (super tight base)
Miles of cables, usb, rca, digital stuff, flux capaciters, lights that blink, etc.

PARTS

Custom Aluminum dash plate that move HVAC to bottom
Goodle Nexus 7 (Android, rooted and running custom ROM)
12V to 5V DC-DC converter. 10 Amps of powa!
90 Degree OTG USB cable
iCAB 4 port USB Hub - modified for external power
NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (digital to analog converter)
Y USB dual fee power cable
128 Gig Flash drive
USB FM stick (radio!) Need to order
USB FM external antenna adapter - need to order
Bluetooth wireless OBD2

SOFTWARE

Timur's Kernel / USB Rom 4.2.2
Torque (love this program)
TunIn Radio
Google Play Music
DSP Manager
Audio Glow
Gas Buddy
Weather Channel
Netflix
Chrome
Google Maps
No Lock
RTL2832 Driver

Speedtospare

I removed the normal plastic housing. Cut out the center support beam, relocated the Airbag control system and brackets, cut out the cross beam, moved HVAC control to bottom (require extending lighting wires). Test fit custom plate (made by GTAMC member) I need to get some proper screws and make them rflush the plate.

Tablet Rooted and Timur's custom Kernel is installed. This will allow me to charge the tablet while listening to media through the same USB cable

970874_10151663848185470_1532025470_n.jpg

This is the custom plate in place (need proper screws) and HVAC moved to the bottom. I have to move my Line Lock button because it hits the new plate.

923233_10151663848295470_2032037277_n.jpg

Svt Fox

Staff member
Hmm! That's pretty neat! How is the tablet secured? Is it removable or once it is in there, "it's IN there"?

Speedtospare

Hmm! That's pretty neat! How is the tablet secured? Is it removable or once it is in there, "it's IN there"?

The tablet is going to be fixed. I want it to be a permanent solution. I have aluminum brackets welded to the plate to hold it in. Its going to require a little dremmeling to get it to fit perfectly. It can be removed, just not easily.

If it rains this weekend I will start the door pods, its its clear I will work on mounting the amps. I want nice clean trunk.

Svt Fox

Staff member
Take plenty of "in process" pictures! I am very interested in how this turns out!

Speedtospare

I will do that. I'm waiting on part right now. This weekend work will consist of me making the door pods The fosgate driver is pretty damn huge.

Speedtospare

I was told this is the old school way but I don't care to mess with fiberglass. These will have to be body filled and smoothed. Same idea as fiberglass just a little heavier lol.

1010765_10151695470470470_1607018439_n.jpg

Speedtospare

Cut out the mid and tweeter hols in the above pieces. Just a comparison of the component sizes. 6 3/4 Fosgate Pro, MMATS pro audio 6.5, Infinity 5 1/4 reference.

580161_10151695470650470_1931941107_n.jpg

Speedtospare

Its a lot of friggin around trying to get everything to work. Amps are installed, mini sub boc with twin JL 6X3v3 6.5' subwoofers complete, door pans has to be modded because they hit the dash. I'm waiting on the USB DAC to get here this week. This weekend I start cutting up USB hubs and cables and wire in the 12V-5V DC-DC converters

Speedtospare

3/4" mdf for the speaker boxes and door panels. I was going to use fiberglass but it's time consuming.

more triming, rounding, body filling and sanding to go.

1471_10151715871105470_353438522_n.jpg

Speedtospare

Mini Sub box for JL 6W3V3 6.5" sub-woofers. That's right a massive .15 cobic feet per fox of space. It will boom more than most think. I'm into SQ, not vibrating the shit out of the car beside me. I do have 3 10" subs in the garage if I need more bottom end.

1001290_10151715821070470_748240103_n.jpg

nsstang

Killer idea using the tablet, I thought of going that route for my off road vehicle... I've got a ways to go before I can even start thinking about the entertainment (other than lots of HP) in the Mustang.

Where did you get that mount? I would like to find a mount with the heater controls on the bottom and a double DIN opening above it.