• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

04 Cobra Swap into my 87 GT Build

Figured since we were getting close to starting/driving it I would make a post. Would love some constructive criticism.

Short Story: I have had my 87 GT since i was 15 (my first car) and i have finally decided 18 years later to do a much needed overhaul. I purchased a wrecked 04 cobra coupe with a couple goodies 2.8 Kenne Bell, UPR K member, coilovers, forged internals, head work, comp cams the list goes on...

Salvaging what we could from the car and other wrecked Cobras and a Mach 1 solid rear that was rebuilt, here we go:

My Fox out of Storage

The 04 Cobra

Everything pulled apart

Fox Stripped Out

Some of the new parts

The Most Recent Pics I have of the Assembly...

Here are a couple more pics and a video of the first time we fired it. We still have so many adjustments and things to rethink, fit and fix, the list goes on and on.....but it runs!!!

Taking it Fri May 22nd to have it Tuned so we can at least drive it.

We are having following problems off the jump:

dash fitment issues
MM K member I think has forward offset A Arms pushing the front wheels forward
Kooks X is hitting trans mount

Onto more Pics:

Lat but not least First Fire up with a Base tune just to get it started:

whiteponygt

Nice build love to see these swaps but hate to see all of these terminators destroyed, hopefully no one died in your donor,but the car loois awesome

Absolutely awesome toy!

Thanks That it will be!

Nice build love to see these swaps but hate to see all of these terminators destroyed, hopefully no one died in your donor,but the car loois awesome

Yea i actually met the guy who wrecked the car (he was actually helping the owner sell it). He was pretty beat up after the accident but survived and made a recovery. Got some before pics of the car and a complete build history on the motor too.

modulistic

nice, can you tell me how you did your e-brake? did you weld in the dash supports from the donor car? does the support bracket for the dash/firewall area have to get cut out?

nice, can you tell me how you did your e-brake? did you weld in the dash supports from the donor car? does the support bracket for the dash/firewall area have to get cut out?

Transferred everything over from the 04 and bolted it in. Welded, screwed cut etc a bunch to get the dash in. Still have some work to do to it. Its out too far and pointing down too much. Ill post some pics when i pull it out and get it right of what we did...

Did an initial pull yesterday and the car put down 660 RWHP om 93 octane and the 3.40 pulley @ 20lbs of boost. making a couple changes this week should get some more out of it....

Working on the car here and there, coupe more pics. Replaced the Axles with new Mosers, new fuel filter, Cervini's 4" Cowl, rolled the rear fenders and some cobra tails.

cpearson1342

Very cool, I currently have a mach swap and am going to upgrade to a terminator swap with a 2.6h kenne bell so I'll definitely be asking you questions as needed :) Also what brand long tubes were those and did you have any issues fitting them in?

Very cool, I currently have a mach swap and am going to upgrade to a terminator swap with a 2.6h kenne bell so I'll definitely be asking you questions as needed :) Also what brand long tubes were those and did you have any issues fitting them in?

Nice! I ended up going with Kooks Long tubes, fitment wasnt bad, had to do some work to the kooks X pipe on the drivers side to help get it lined up. Pass side lined up perfected using a 94 Tranny mount.

cpearson1342

So the longtubes themselves fit fine without the midpipe or you had to do some persuading to get them to fit? What diameter are they? Also what steering shaft setup are you using?

I had the same problem with my shorty headers when I was doing the midpipe, the passenger side fit perfectly but the driver's side was too far over and too low making the whole thing look terrible so we just bent it where it needed to go.

Long tubes went in fine, not sure on the exact size they were from another wrecked 2003 cobra. Here are a couple pics, Ill have to check on the steering shaft, i think the stock one just barley cleared....