• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

modify/swap firewall questions

EXP500

Alrighty I have an 03 terminator complete car that I'm tearing apart for my 87GT Swap, I want to do a complete swap so an idea That has floating around and some stuff I have seen online that people have cut out sections of firewalls and swap it over,I see that there is a section on the drivers side firewall that looks like it can be removed where the steering column bearing/ gas pedal mounting bolts/ hydro boost ect. Kind of looks like its not exactly welded but some sort of adhesive from the factory, has anyone ever done this swap/modification. I have no problem welding, but would like some feedback if available. Thank you everyone ahead of time!

-pete

whiteponygt

Yes Done It,And It's SPot Welded In You Have To Drill TheM Out And WeLd The New Panel In,Not Hard Just Time Consuming,You Only Have To Change It If Your Using The TermI Steering column

EXP500

Thanks for the reply! And yes I'm doing the interior/dash swap which is why I want that steering column section, would you happen to have any pictures of that section removed would like to get an idea of the location of spot welds ect.

-pete

whiteponygt

there is a couple of threads on here I think mine has a pick of it and there are a few more that has it also, Easiest was is to sand it first and the low spots will show the spot welds

whiteponygt

If you look at Myers407 he has a great write up and good pictures of swaping there firewall piece if you cant find it look under interior under SVTCAPRI dash install he has pics there

EXP500

Thank you for that! Lots of great info on here and people willing to answer questions! I asked someone on my Facebook that had done a mod swap and pretty much got a response like he was the only one in the world that could do it...yea more motivation to keep pressing forward!

EXP500

I actually followed your pics as a guideline for mine! I just welded mine in and grinded down the welds, I just noticed you removed the swaybar brackets, was that spot welded or??

EXP500

Finished the swap! Welded up and ready to go, hydroboost lines up where I want it, I had to massage the firewall to straighten out, gas pedal bolted up, firewall needed more massaging, the clutch quadrant needed minor massaging but where the steel plate that holds the windshield wiper assembly

myers407

Staff member
There is a section of the firewall on the passenger side that will need attrition also. If you are using the full interior the area where the A/C and heater hoses are needs to be done also. You can enlarge the openings but I have never cared for the way it looks. It will also make mounting the SN blower box easer to mount. This should give you an idea. Good luck.
100_2082.jpg

VNMSGT

You guys using the sn95 column for your reason of doing this or it doesnt matter what column you use, sn95 or fox, that you need to do this? I though I read somewhere all you have to do is mark and drill the holes on the fox firewall to bolt up the hydroboost.

whiteponygt

The sn column shaft rides on bearing where the Fox goes through just the rubber pad so depending on which dash you plan to use is whether you have to change the fire wall plate, if you do run the new style dash you don't have to replace the whole plate some have just cut and welded the bearing in

VNMSGT

Yeah. Im not gonna do the new dash. May get a fox cluster cover somewhere and see if I can trim it to fit the sn95 gauges like I saw somewhere. Im pissed I can find the pic now.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Use the holes on the hydroboost. That will keep the brake linkage/steering shaft relativity in the right place. The steering bearing is pretty snug, even after you've cut the notch in the plate. I would recommend you create a cardboard template to get the fit right. It really speeds up the job.

No2ndgear

Put the bolts sticking out for,the gas pedal back in the same,holes that are already there in the firewall. That's how I did it. Everything else lined up just fine