• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

89 Coupe/96 Cobra Swap

89DirtCoupe

Take lots of pictures. Not for us, but for yourself. It will help you remember where everything was on the Cobra and where it goes on the Fox. If you have an excuse to take the front window out of the Fox, the dash is a bit easier to fit with it out. It isn't necessary, just easier. The column bearing isn't terribly difficult. I made a cardboard template the last time I did one. The template helped me line the bearing up relative to the brake booster, as most of the break booster holes are in the same place and the bearing is a relative distance away. I wish I had kept the template, as I will have to make another one on my current project.

Thanks for the tips Bill! I was considering swapping the whole plate that contains both the bearing and the booster. Would you consider this route more difficult?

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I would think that is much more difficult, and probably unnecessary. If you use a stiff piece of cardboard about 6 inches wide and long enough to go from the top holes of the booster to just below the bottom of the bearing, it will make a great template. Poke the bolt holes where the booster sits and use those to hold the template in place. Then cut a hole in the cardboard around the bearing. Mark a line on the template and on the bearing with a sharpie so that you know how to orient the bearing properly. Cut the bearing out (I used a small cutting wheel) with enough meat left around it to stitch it to the Fox. Use the same method to mount the template on the fox. This will also let you know where to drill the extra hole for the hydrobooster. Place the bearing into the template hole against the Fox firewall and remove the template. Draw around the bearing so you'll know exactly where it is going to sit. Cut the hole in the Fox firewall remembering to leave yourself enough overlap for several good stitch welds. I have also seen it done this way as a bolt in if you don't want to weld it. If you choose to bolt it in, don't forget to seal it up good.

89DirtCoupe

Finally made some good progress. Both cars on in the garage and the Cobra is now 70% disassembled. Next weekend we will hopefully swap the K-Member in and get the steering column/firewall mod done. Then on to engine bay paint.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Sounds like great progress. Did you unplug everything, or did you pile it all up in a heap on top of the motor. I learned the last time that I could leave a lot of the stuff plugged to the motor and just pile it all up on top and zip tie it. This helps with figuring out where everything goes and making sure the plugs don't get damaged. It doesn't work with everything, but it saved me a ton of time on the last build.

89DirtCoupe

Sounds like great progress. Did you unplug everything, or did you pile it all up in a heap on top of the motor. I learned the last time that I could leave a lot of the stuff plugged to the motor and just pile it all up on top and zip tie it. This helps with figuring out where everything goes and making sure the plugs don't get damaged. It doesn't work with everything, but it saved me a ton of time on the last build.

It was actually a huge step for us. But, I think this next weekend will be the most motivating weekend so far, we'll finally get to do some of the actual swap.

I unhooked the fuel lines, unbolted the A/C and PS, and unplugged a few other lines but for the most part the harness is still attached.

I'll get some more pictures tomorrow evening after I get home from work.

Thanks guys!

89DirtCoupe

Didn't get a chance to take any pictures yet but, I did get the column and dash out of the Cobra last night. I thought it was going to be a lot worse.

89DirtCoupe

So last night I noticed that the CCRM was missing from the passenger side fender.

Would anyone happen to have one of these they'd like to sell? I'm not sure if they are year specific or not but, it is a 96.

89DirtCoupe

Made a ton of progress today. We got the K-Member swapped along with the steering column bearing plate. I decided to use the entire plate after looking it over. It didn't take us too long and I think it came out really good. I'm extremely excited with our progress!

DSC_0206_zpsyvcqojpt.jpg

DSC_0230_zpsatmykexr.jpg

Here is the firewall on the Cobra after we removed the plate:
DSC_0223_zps2rhdkxid.jpg

Fox firewall just about ready for the plate:
DSC_0227_zpshjswzbbh.jpg

Test Fitting the plate:
DSC_0226_zpsp9l1npdh.jpg

Put a light coat of paint on the firewall, which will behind the plate:
DSC_0229_zpsnmem1vp2.jpg

Plate installed:
DSC_0234_zpsvv5kxp2j.jpg

Removed the sway bar brackets:
DSC_0228_zpshubbpvp9.jpg

Cobra K-member:
DSC_0231_zps4012ii3o.jpg

K-Member in:
DSC_0232_zps4cndevku.jpg

DSC_0233_zpstkyjr2rg.jpg

DSC_0235_zpsb0dzunbg.jpg

DSC_0236_zps5ww0pubd.jpg

Last edited:

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
I still need to install my steering bearing plate in my car I had planned to do it the very same way as you did. I have seen guys cut the lower section out and weld the bearing in but I think this way is a lot easier, or to me it looks easier your way. Nice job looks great keep up the pace.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I agree that it does look like a good way to do the bearing plate.

89DirtCoupe

Drilling out the spot welds was the most time consuming part. Going this route requires a bit of patience but, I think it was a great way to line everything up and after its all painted, it will almost look like it was factory.

89DirtCoupe

We installed the radiator mounting brackets along with the coolant reservoir today. Also, test fit the stock hood to check for clearance issues. Everything looks good and I'm about ready to paint the engine bay.

Also, ordered most of my parts yesterday including a cowl hood, 31 spline axles and diff, 4.10's and a few suspension parts.

fstfrd

Donator
Nice work ! I'm at about the same progress as you DirtCoupe....i guess I need to get some pics up too. I just drilled out my bearing plate as well, the same way you did yours and it was a pita, but worth it !

89DirtCoupe

Nice work ! I'm at about the same progress as you DirtCoupe....i guess I need to get some pics up too. I just drilled out my bearing plate as well, the same way you did yours and it was a pita, but worth it !

Agreed, it is worth it. I'm pushing to have my motor in and running in a month. I think its very possible given my progress so far.

89DirtCoupe

So, I'm about ready to install all of the front suspension and have a question for you guys. When searching for this, I found that people seem to have mixed opinions.

Should I be using Fox A-Arms or SN95 A-Arms? (I know the SN95 arms are longer and will stick the tire out further)
Will the Fox arms bolt right to the 96 K-member?
Will the geometry be correct if I use the fox arms?

whiteponygt

Here Is How Far TheTire Sticks Out With Sn A Arms On Mine

Attachments

• 2012-11-24_13-30-06_342.jpg
    2012-11-24_13-30-06_342.jpg
    966.5 KB · Views: 65