• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Project Insanity

Bobby Amato

Well it was one and done for me. I think the motor already had an issue that I tried to ignore and taking it to the track made it show it's ugly head. I knew I was taking a chance with the motor, so live and learn. For some reason the car kept dying on me all day. It died after my burnout it limped to the end of the track @ 74mph and then died. Barely started back up and then died when I grabbed my time slip. Started it back up and drove to the pits and it died again.

I was thinking the idle was too low,so we started messing with that in the pits and then we heard it. The infamous rod knock.

Not sure what I'm going to do yet.

87_notchfox

justr another notch among the rest...
Donator
If it had a bent rod the engine would not really turn over well or at all. I would check the timing chains and chain tensioners

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Spdjunky

I just took apart 2 4.6 dohc engines with bent rods that ran and turn over decent. I can post pics or send ya a rod .. lol

87_notchfox

Donator
Lol...let me see a pic bro I'd u can...I'd like to see...was it a h or I beam rod so I know which one to get if I go modular again lol

Spdjunky

Rod on the right is a 2003 30K mile Aluminator engine out of a mach, rod on left is an 03 Marauder Aluminator 90k miles.
I am putting one together 'stock' with cams, the other will have Eagle 5933 rods and the forged crank for a turbo motor.

Spdjunky

Both engines turned over pretty free, the mach was super easy, the Marauder and a slight 'rub' for a partial turn. The Mach knocked, the Maruader did not.

87_notchfox

Donator
Alright bro thanks...liked the way it looked with the FR500 they make my coupe look good like urs Did

Bobby Amato

I think what I'm hearing is piston slap, but I'm not going to tear into this thing anytime soon. I have too much going on right now.

Spdjunky

the bottom of the piston was slapping the counterweight on the crankshaft.

it eventually broke the skirt of the bottom of the piston which you can see in the picture

rusqtsi

I started disassembly of the mangled mess. Car was in rough shape.

DSCN1856.jpg

This got bent when Ben had to come and save me the day I took it home. The battery was shot and it left me stranded 2 miles from my house. Ben showed up with his truck and a tow strap. The fog lamp and core support didn't fare well. This just added to an already tore up support.

DSCN1857.jpg

DSCN1859.jpg

DSCN1860.jpg

Here is some stuff I'm doing at work. The core support repair and seat mount shouldn't be a problem. =)

Welders007.jpg

Welders008.jpg

Welders010.jpg

Welders012.jpg

cabdoor.jpg

manliftdoor2.jpg

manliftdoor1.jpg

manliftdoorrepair.jpg
gonna be insane
I called this thing project Insanity because I really didn't want to get into something that was this involved. I just wanted to scoop up a nice daily driver that had a little more power than my POS 4 banger in case I wanted to take an occasional cruise.The thing that I couldn't pass up was the t tops. Although I've had plenty of mustangs, I've never owned a pre 87 car nor a t top car.

So here is the car after arriving at it's new home.

DSCN1848.jpg

DSCN1847.jpg

I started to gather a lot of parts for it.

After I bought the car I started searching craigslist for parts to make this thing better. First thing I stumbled on was a set of t tops in better shape than the ones on the car. For $50 I couldn't pass them up. Plus having an extra set wont hurt.

DSCN1852.jpg

A friend of mine in L.A. picked up some black 86 door panels from a guy that I found on craigslist for $75

blackdoorpanelpass.jpg

blackdoorpaneldriver.jpg

I drove to Corona today and grabbed this gem for $200. The one on the car was cracked in like 4-5 different places.

frontbumper.jpg

I've been searching for black interior parts, but everryone is either too far or wants too much for them. I'll keep looking, but in the mean time I've decided to just paint what I have. The other hatch quarter not pictured was in the garage drying.

blackinteriorparts.jpg

Ben did a great job on the headliner, so sorry if this offends anyone, but I pulled it off and painted it black.

DSCN1854.jpg

Here is the inside before I switched the carpet. I will fix the driver's side seat mounting point. Looks like someone tried to braze it. Not sure if this was Ben, but I'll get a new piece made and welded up.

DSCN1851.jpg

seatsremoved.jpg

used the black carpet that I had in the garage for my race car. Came out of Jesse's old coupe.

blackcarpetinstalled.jpg

I also ordered some procar seats for it and I'll be putting the other ones in my 4 banger to get rid of my current gangster lean. The rear seats will be upholstered to match the procars.

procarseat.jpg