• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

03 Mach 1 Rattle

cpearson1342

Has anyone else had a problem with a rattling noise coming from the engine? We were pretty sure we didn't hear it before we took it out, but once it was in the fox we started hearing it. I have an o/r x-pipe that currently has an exhaust leak on the driver's side. I've heard anything from head tick to problems with pistons, or the timing chain tensioners which apparently make that noise when they go bad. Hopefully someone else has resolved this issue and can help me out. I can put up a video of it if needed, but it usually happens closer to 3000 rpm or when I push the gas pedal about half way down and it less noticeable if at all at idle.

In other news, I finally got my dash back in and the majority of the wiring in so that all the lights and such minus the reverse lights and alarm system, etc. It was finally worth all the hard work and I'll be taking it on it's first real drive to school tomorrow, so hopefully all goes well.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
How did the drive go? Do you have an automotive stethoscope? They are cheap on ebay or at one of the Chinese junk tool shops...might help you isolate your rattle.

cpearson1342

It went well, thought the alignment was bad at first but it was bad roads mixed with 255's which made it keep pulling on that roadway. I don't have one, but I could probably borrow one to see if it's the timing chain tensioners. I have isolated the rpm range for it to 2500-2600rpm where it is most noticable. It's so much fun to drive though, just can't wait until after the clutch break in period.