• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1986 svo 2v 4.6 swap

Cooplollis

I’m new here I just bought a 1986 svo that’s had a 4.6 swapped into it so far it runs great but I’ve got a couple wiring issues. From what I can tell every thing was completely swapped out of an 04 gt body harness, dash steering. My issues are that the running lights don’t work or any of the blinkers the dash does not light up the tach works but the Speedo jumps around I’m just wondering if there is something I need to know about the lighting to get everything to work as it should

massacre

Donator
I would get a wiring diagram for an 04 GT and start there. Get a volt meter and start checking circuits. Wiring diagrams can be found on ebay for pretty cheap and volt meters are also cheap, you don't need a very expensive one.
The way i wired my car is i kept all of the chassis wiring stock fox, and the ECM, transmission, and fuel pump wiring is completely separate. I kept stock fox dash and steering.

Cooplollis

I have a volt meter I can start checking. I just don’t really know what volts I should need or now to rewire from 04 harness to fox lights my car has led rear lights and one piece head lights

massacre

Donator
The wiring diagram should help you with any of the 04 wiring. My fox is a 79 and not an 86, so it might be different.
As far as the lights, if you are using the fox headlight switch, i would check for power going to the switch. The switch should be hot at all times. The switch gets its power from the always hot side of the starter solenoid (usually) yellow wire. If you have power to the headlight switch, then i would check for power at the light sockets.
The LED rear lights i have no idea, i stick with incandescent bulbs all around. If you unplug the LEDs, do the headlights work?
Oh wait you said everything was swapped over to 04. So the fox wiring is no longer in the car?

massacre

Donator
OK so you will definitely need a wiring diagram for an 04 GT. I think they might have lighting modules that my car does not have. The 04 GT wiring manual will tell you where each circuit starts and ends, you'll need to test the circuits from beginning to end starting at the battery and then through its various travel through the vehicle to its final destination.
12V DC electrical diagnosis seems daunting but it's really just a process of elimination. Keep testing for power at the different stops along the way until you find no power. Then you know where the problem lies.