• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

98 cobra disassembled engine?

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
What trans is everybody running? I just want something that I can pick up cheap and will bolt right to the 4.6.
T45 or tremec 3650 would be the cheapest two manual trans, i run a 3650 for the simple fact that i refuse to run an automatic lol. T56 is bigger money but also 6 speed. I would love to have a T56 but fall came early to the money tree this, lol so i guess i will try to upgrade later.

stangracer90

Ok that's what I will start looking for then. Maybe I can run across one without breaking the bank. Will the gt(2v) trannys work?

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
Yes, 96-up ran T45's and 01-04 ran the 3650, 03-04 cobra ran T56. The T45 and 3650 look very similiar, one difference i know of is the drain plug on T45 is on the side and its on the bottom on the 3650. Im still waiting to see if my speed sensor will or will not work on my car, the sensors are different but i can not clarify YET.

stangracer90

Yeh my buddy just traded for a fox coupe 347 with a t56 and it is an awesome setup but I feel your pain ponyboy89lx I plant one every year and it keeps dying off lol. I have a 91 coupe with a 306 and c4 with 5,000 stahl went 11:30 last time out but it has high 10's in it this yr but if you bracket race auto is the only way that's why I never fooled a lot with manual trannys especially the 96 up cars.

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
Every mustang i have ever owned was a manual besides two they were auto and all stock cars. I babied the hell out them to because they were automatics.

stangracer90

I built my c4 and I GUT the hell out of mine lol so far no trouble out of it. Have ou ever heard of anyone putting a c4 on a 4.6 dohc? I'm sure it's been done but I just haven't seen it.

Svt Fox

Staff member
T-45, stock clutch, mgw shifter. 30 miles on the setup. 0 miles on the shifter. I'll report back when I have driven the car more.

stangracer90

Thanks I would like to know if it does good for you that's more than likely the route I will go. Like I said though I'm a little new to this and not familiar with the mgw shifter?

Svt Fox

Staff member
I'm a little new to this and not familiar with the mgw shifter?

http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang_shifter.shtml

tejy6use.jpg

Wreckedj30

What trans is everybody running? I just want something that I can pick up cheap and will bolt right to the 4.6.

Cheap haha, nothing's cheap regarding this motor, your best bet is a manual t45 from the 96-early 01 mustang. Or the 4r70w automatic from various 4.6l cars; crown Vic, mark Viii, f150 and mustang. Either is going to cost you between 150-500. Maybe more if you get a complete trans swap, with clutch, driveshaft and pedal assembly.

Other options are the;
T3650 what I am running comes out of a late 01-04mustang, 99-01 cobras, and the 03-04 Mach . You can find 350-1000 complete.
T56 six speed from the 03-04 cobras around 1200+
Also newer 05+ have a t3650 but they have hydraulic throw out bearing you would have to integrate in the fox or sn95, they also have a remote shifter, you could make work, or buy an earlier tail housing and driveshaft. The OE 05+ driveshaft is a expansion shaft type and it will need to be swapped for a front yoke type joint

stangracer90

Yes from what I have seen nothing at all is cheap for them but I'm defiinately doin a manual. Probably will do the t45.