• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Clutch release bearing question

fstfrd

Donator
Hi guys, I'm in need of a bit of help. After my swap here, I've gone through 3 throw out bearings and two clutches, and I have replaced the clutch cable & I'm getting the same problem arising. The throw out bearing starts squeaking bad ....to the point where it's embarrassing to drive the car. At this point I think I can assume it's not a clutch problem. What I did find though was the input portion of the drive shaft is inserted into the tail shaft literally all the way in and dam near butts up to the universal joint. So my question is, is the drive shaft suppose to be that far inserted into the trans, or should there be about 1/2" to 1" of the chrome/polished portion of the drive shaft visible . I just think that there might be too much of the drive shaft inserted into the trans causing extra pressure throughout the shaft causing the release bearing to constantly make contact on the clutch. What do you think guys ?

whiteponygt

How many miles have you put on it. My drive shaft is the same way. Little to no drive shaft sticking out the trans. I haven't put allot of miles on my swap but the miles I have put on it have been rather hard miles.I haven't had any trouble from my t-o bearing .

fstfrd

Donator
I've driven around 4-5k miles on the car now...I try and drive it as often as I can, but this darn clutch release bearing squeaking is driving me nuts. I'm thinking of having the drive shaft trimmed down a bit so the input shaft isn't pushed into the trans so far.
How's your car running ?

whiteponygt

Mine is running great I get compliments all the time even though it's multi colored. my only problem is all the little things I said I'll get that later had come too a head.I didn't remember seeing but just out of curiosity what clutch are you running. Past eexperience if by chance thou are using a spec clutch the throw out bearing were prone to failure I bought the clutch kit for my terminator and had issue after a while I trashed the spec tob and bought a Ford one and since then no issues.

fstfrd

Donator
Nice....glad to hear it's running great ! That makes all of the hard work worth it. I'm running the FR King Cobra clutch. I just purchased a RAM HDX clutch and I'm going to be installing it mid January . I've done a lot in the past few weeks. I converted to Coil on Plugs, powder coated my valve covers, and just installed a Vortech V2 this past week. Once the car is tuned, I'll change the clutch, and have the drive shaft shortened a 1/2" or so.image.jpg

whiteponygt

Man u have been busy.how do u like the vortech? Btw I love the blue cam covers .The cop conversion really cleans up under the hood. What Kinda numbers are you hoping to see?

fstfrd

Donator
Busy to say the least...I'm hoping to see anything above 420 & I'll be happy....I was giving a lot of new mustangs and camaros hell with just the stock engine and 4:10's...the car was really quick, but I didn't quite have the top end power to hold them back. But that should change with the vortech on it ...