• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Finally getting started

Chaos885.oh2mod

88 Mustang LX convertible 5.0
I have been gathering information and reading other posts on this site and taking notes as i go. I finally got another car to get my parts for my swap into my 88 convertible. I got a 97 gt which someone was in the process of swapping a mark viii motor into for $800. I get hydroboost brakes, 5-lug wheels. the 4valve engine, auto trans, gt computer, maybe a wiring harness, all the little parts in labeled bags, and maybe a disk rear if it is not too long. and i can sell off the doors and body parts. I thought it was a good deal just had to go 3 hours to get it and 3 hours back. I will try to post pictures as soon as i can. I am on 10 hour shifts till friday.

BDvs

Sounds like a really good deal "$800". A mark viii motor will generally run you about $500 by itself around Cedar Rapids, Iowa area. Are you planning on putting a cage in the convertible? The only reason I ask, is the fox verts have a scary amount of body twist (you probably already know that).

Chaos885.oh2mod

I might have to. I need to put in my subframe connectors that i have. I will do that before I start driving it again. I will see what it is like after that.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
If you choose not to put in a cage, you can get with Brian Figg over at Stifflers and he can get you all the stiff chassis you want. It doesn't provide rollover protection, but it keeps the sleeper look completely and maintains chassis alignment under full throttle and hard cornering.

BDvs

I like Bill's idea. Under the radar look. A Buddy of mine had a stock 86 and you could actually feel the back end twisting as it was catching up with the front. Nothing was damaged or worn, it was basically the nature of the beast.

Chaos885.oh2mod

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely look into that before I get it going again. They have some nice stuff for the chassis. My 88 can sure use some help with chassis flex.