• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

From FAQ

IornFox

Figued this would be an appropriate place to ask this question. I've been wracking my brain with possibly switching out my rear with my 04 donors rear. figured it would be a upgrade since it has the 5 lugs and rear disk breaks. My question is what did you guys do to convert to 5 lug and rear disks? Is it as easy as swapping spendles or swapping the whole rear? I've looked and searched on here but couldn't find a write up on it.

89DirtCoupe

In reply to the wheel selection:

What front spindles do you run with the 96-98 K-member? I know that when your switch to five lug with the stock K-member, 94-95 spindles are preferred to retain the track width and allow you to run a 94-04 off set wheel.

Also, for the rear, I was under the impression that the 94+ rear ends were a little bit wider than the fox. So how does this affect the wheel selection and off set if you use it in the fox? Is it preferred to use the Fox rear with 5 lug axles or the newer rear?

I want to run 94+ wheels (10" in the rear).

I've researched both questions and I'm getting mixed responses so I'm hoping everyone's experience on this site will help get a straight answer.

WhiteSox.35

In regards to the wheel section. I use to own a 93 Cobra and when I checked on purchasing Cobra R wheels (4 lug) all the websites said they were not compatible with the Cobra. Why is that?

ModFoxMustangs

Staff member
In regards to the wheel section. I use to own a 93 Cobra and when I checked on purchasing Cobra R wheels (4 lug) all the websites said they were not compatible with the Cobra. Why is that?
its probably due to the offset of the wheels.. Post pics of the wheels and data if you have it..

WhiteSox.35

cobra r.PNG

Attached (I think) is an example from American Muscle's website but all the companies I have found that sell them say the same thing regardless if the wheel is 17x8, 17x9 or 17x10

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I would like to recommend that our site moderator move this conversation into its own thread and keep the FAQ section clean for new users and people considering their own swap.

ModFoxMustangs

Staff member
Attached (I think) is an example from American Muscle's website but all the companies I have found that sell them say the same thing regardless if the wheel is 17x8, 17x9 or 17x10

The 1979-90 Mustang had a smaller front fender opening than the 1991-93 Mustang. Without clearance problems or tire rub, the best appearing and performing set up here is to run a 17x8 front wheel with a 245/45/17 tire and for the rear you can run a 17x9 wheel with a 275/40/17 tire with no clearance problems.
Now, If you want to run a 17x10.5 wheel with a 315/35/17 tire on the rear you can, however you will have to remove the rear quad shocks and modify the inner fender with a "Large hammer!". It can be done in your driveway in no time, but every Mustang is different! You may not have to do anything other than just remove the rear quad shocks.

Here is a basic guideline for backspacing for fox-body wheels:
7" width - 4.5" backspace
8" width - 5-5.5" backspace
9" width - 6" backspace
10-10.5" width - 6.5" backspace
Earlier (79-86) Fox body Mustangs, as well as 4-cylinder Mustangs won't typically accept greater than an 8"-wide front wheel due to strut-to-wheel clearance. An upgrade to 87-93 5.0 brakes, or SN95 brakes may be required if a wider front wheel is desired on a four cylinder or 4-eyed Mustang.

I read somewhere that the dumb piece of plastic inside the front fenders of the 1979-1990 Mustangs was smaller than the dumb piece of plastic inside the front fenders of the 1991-1993 Mustangs.

well ill toss in my experience, i did the sn95 swap with rear axle and full front end. i used eibach drag launch front springs that were cut one coil in the front, stock 4cyl in rear. as you can see in my avator, the front sits low. i had to roll the fenders pretty far. other than that no issues. also the swaybar for the fox is too narrow, i still have to add the sn95 sway bar. the rims are stock 98? gt rims. the 5 spoke ones. and im running 245/45 r17 up front. the 95 spindles were used (96 and up is 3/4? iirc wider)