• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Futura Cobra startup and roll out

FuturaGuy

Staff member
After 8 years of off-and-on work, I finally started the Futura Cobra. It's not exactly a Mustang but it's still a Fox body. The engine is a 1998 Mustang Cobra that came from a car that was rolled over and totalled in the fall of 2000. I bought the engine and transmission in the spring of 2001 so it hadn't run in almost 9 years. When I went to start it, I cranked it a couple of times, the second time leaving the switch in the "ON" position so the fuel pump would circulate gas and bleed the air out of the system. It fired on the third try. The following weekend I threw a party, barbecue and beer, for everyone who had helped me.

Here's the link to the You Tube video of the roll out.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTkk9wZrHIo

d90212

Nice work!!! Another sleeper!!! Fox dash...fox doors?
Are you also running a hydroboost system? What engine management are you using? Gotta make a build up thrad for your project here

FuturaGuy

Staff member
Good catch - you noticed the '88 Mustang dash. The doors are original with the car. The engine management system is the stock PCU that came from the donor car. I had it modified by a shop in Delaware to bypass the Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) and raise the rev limit to 7500 RPM. I'm using a hydroboost and power steering rack from a '96 Mustang GT. The hydroboost mounting plate has a different hole pattern than existed on the '79 Futura, so I modified the plate to fit the holes in the firewall, which also line up to the clutch/brake pedal assembly. If anyone wants to copy what I did, I have drawings of the mods to the mounting plate and the special wrench I designed and had made to remove the hydroboost from the mount. Send me a PM.

SVTCAPRI

Totally awesome!! My first car with a v8 was a 79 Futura. If I still had it I can be sure I'd be doin that instead of my 83 Capri! Cool vid!