• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New guy from PA near Philly/ 4.6 DOHC Swap and HI

69crewcab

Whats up all
New guy to the site. ANy other PA /NJ people on here?
Swapping a DOHC 4.6 into some Old iron from 1964 (Galaxie Wagon)

Looks like an old Cammer motor in-between the frame rails!

Just wanted to say Hi. And amazed at how much info is out there on this site.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Hi Joe. Welcome to the party. We are all looking forward to seeing pictures of your build and how you chose to do the swap. Dig in and make yourself at home.

cpearson1342

I am from the North Jersey area, if you need any help with anything feel free to ask, especially with wiring which seems to be my specialty on here

69crewcab

Glad to see someone close by
My biggest thing is where to start I have the harness out
And the one harness on the motor to most of the sensors
Just trying to figure out how to attack it

cpearson1342

Well first try to figure out exactly what you want to keep, not sure if you want abs/ traction control anything like that. For mine I only did the dash harness and I regret not cleaning up the engine bay fuse box harness. I started by taking them out one by one out of connectors/ fuse box if I know I definitely did not need them. As I took them out of the interior fuse box I labeled the ones I needed and what they were. More than half the wires came out. I have a few files that may be useful and I can get you pinouts for any connector you may need. What year/make/model did your harnesses come out of? As for the engine bay fuse box it was useful to leave some of the wiring behind because I used the fused connections to run my alarm system and misc other power sources

69crewcab

I guess that's what I need to ask, should I keep the relay fuse box that was under the hood(all my wiring is from a 94 Lincoln mark 8) it houses the relays for the computer
fuel pump, fan etc, then it runs to a connector that goes thru the firewall to the fuse panel. Which I guess I could use and get away from the 50 yr old one that's in there??
I really would just like to have the motor to be able to fire from the original ignition switch and have it all tied together some how.
It just seems the Lincoln had a highway of wiring and I think half of it isn't needed.
BUt I do like the idea of having some extra fused circuits if needed. My wife says I look like a school nerd with my diagrams and glasses on, staring at these posts and diagrams lol.
And files or items you could send would be great help
69crewcab@comcast.net is my email if needed
thanks

cpearson1342

If you don't have a ccrm like the later mustangs then I would definitely keep the fuse box. The only reason I would have gotten rid of it is because I only had about 4 fuses in the box and maybe 2 relays that do anything because everything else is controlled by the ccrm.

What I did to mine was make a harness to go in my 86 dash that connected to the old dash harness via the old instrument cluster plug that gave ignition power to the computer/o2 sensors/etc using the 2 plugs that connected near the computer and went out the firewall on the driver's side to connect the few wires I needed for constant power/alarm system/etc and connected to the fuel pump driver module that I needed since it would not work returnless without it.

The way I made it turn over from the original key was I took the 3rd leg off of the starter solenoid which was already located on the driver's side and hooked it up to the starter relay which was in the fuse box. Of course there was a lot of testing while the dash was out with a few buttons and jumpers to ensure that this new dash harness would run the engine alone once hooked up. I will add all the files that helped me, but I believe some are only for the later mustang harness, unless I noted that they are for the 94 mark, but I'm not certain.

This should be enough wiring diagrams to keep you busy for a good amount of time, if you need any help with anything specific let me know. I also attached the location of each connector in the mark 8 so if you need a pinout of a specific one let me know. The starting system wire should allow you to find the correct colored wire and where it goes to. As for the charging system, that is just there if you want to hook it up to charge without the cluster in. Good luck and hopefully this helps and doesn't overwhelm you.

Attachments

• 94 mark 8 C214.PNG
    94 mark 8 C214.PNG
    453.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 94 mark 8 C201.PNG
    94 mark 8 C201.PNG
    723.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 94 mark 8 C118.PNG
    94 mark 8 C118.PNG
    422.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 94 mark 8 cluster.PNG
    94 mark 8 cluster.PNG