• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Stock dash, wiring

4eyedcoupe

Donator
We are coming to the point where we need to decide what dash we are going to use in 86. We would prefer to keep the stock look vs. doing the swap. Just wondering who has kept thier stock dash, and what was involved as far as wiring and what you did for the guages

trkflw306

Check out this link. It might give you some ideas of what you will need to do. Just keep in mind that you will have to have the PATS disabled. Good luck! http://www.modularfoxmustangs.com/community/index.php?threads/2003-4-6-in-a-1993-fox.781/

If i want to keep my stock dash in my 91 can i just splice the 03 harness into the 91 harness? and how do i disable the PATS? once the PATS is dissabled will i be able to run the car with the factory ignition?
i have a 91 lx and an 02 gt doner car and i had the same question about what to do with the dash, sorry to jack the thread.

FuturaGuy

Staff member
A similar question came up on www.foureyedpride.com recently when someone asked about keeping the original dash in a Mercury Zephyr Z-7 with a Mod Motor. When I did mine, with an '88 dash in a '79 Futura, there were no conversion kits at the time so I stripped all the wiring forward of the firewall, used the Mod Motor wiring under the hood, and connected it with a homemade harness (see pictures in the Electrical Wiring section, "Wire Harness" dated 5/19/2010) to the '88 dash. If you can get a kit, great, but cutting up the Mod Motor wiring to make a stand alone harness and matching it to the existing wiring is a major task IMO.

If you're using an '86 or earlier dash with a Mod Motor, the sending units for temperature and oil pressure on the Mod may not work with the earlier dash. All the Foxes from '78 thru '86 used gauges that weren't volt meters but rather a bi-metal coil that either wound or unwound depending on the amount of current going thru it. The gauges were also controlled by a voltage regulator in the dash, and my experience with them was they weren't very reliable. I once had the oil pressure, temperature, and gas gauge all peg to the high side in bumper-to-bumper traffic on the New Jersy Turnpike.

Regarding disabling the PATS system, I had it done on mine by The Detail Zone in Wilmington, DE and it doesn't affect operation of the engine at all. I also need a special speedo cable, probably 18 to 24 inches longer than stock, to clear the cylinder head and reach to the sending unit on the T-45 trans.

myers407

Staff member
This is very correct information. Using the 86 guages is a pain. He is correct about the problems that are incountered with the accurecy. The first post that I put up is just an idea but it has been used several times. As for making the guages work you can add a tee and adapt in the correct senders. For the PATS it can be disabled by any good tuning shop and there is a guy on EBay that for 200.00 will program any needed changes and gives a good performance tune. Turn off rear o2's for no cats kills the PATS and sets up for cold air kit. Good luck guys you do have your work cut out for you...

roachedone

Donator
obviously alittle more work to go.... when its all said and done i'll post how i did it.. but this is all you get for now till done..
8604cluster.jpg

roachedone

Donator
Plastic and plexi glass... and a little fiberglass as well... i didn't cut the main circuit board... it will be tucked inside... i'll do a write up when all is done and i know it works properly.