• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Tell me why not to do this swap

Walt460

I am thinking of putting a 2011 F150 3.5L Ecoboost V6 with a 2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 6-speed auto into a 1992 LX hatchback. (Rust-free southern Nevada desert 4-cyl car, 2-owner, clear carfax found on Craigslist for $1500. with overheated enngine.)

I want to use a 2001-2004 SN95 dash assembly with the matching airbags and related wiring.

Steering will be via a 2011 Mustang column with the 2011 EPAS steering gear mounted to a modified MM-K member. (2011 rack mounts and engine mounts). The 2011 Mustang steering column is required to get the EPAS steeering module and sensors that are required to make the 2011 Mustang EPAS rack work. (The 2011 F150 engine wiring harness will plug right into the 2011 Mustang EPAS rack.)

I plan to use the 2011 F150 factory powertrain controls to control the engine and trans, which means using the trucks BCM and keys so that the PATS system works. (2011 Mustang column PATS key sensor will work as it is the same as used in the F150) The trucks FPDM and Fuel pump assembly will be used with a 2001-2004 SN95 gas tank.

An aftermarket 2011 Mustang one-piece aluminum drive shaft will be shortened and used. As will the 2011 Mustang floor shifter and cable.

MM front suspension with Cobra brakes, Rebuilt 8.8" with disc brakes and 3.27:1 gear set & MM rear springs. (I do have a 2004 Cobra rear & suspension complete, just not sure I want to do that.)

I have the 2011 F150, a roll-over, procured from the local salvage sale yard. It runs and drives and I have deleted a lot of the complicated wiring and modules that are not needed and it still runs and performs as before.

I have a friend locally that bought a wrecked (hit in rear) 2011 Mustang V6 that he is using as a parts car to fix another 2011 Mustang. (he needs the front sheetmetal and the interior with the airbags) So I can get most of the 2011 Mustang parts I need from him. (Trans, steering column, EPAS, shifter, etc.).

365HP, 350+ ft-lbs from 1700-4800rpm that can be made into 400+ with a good tune and a big intercooler. If a big heavy F150 with this engine can get into the 13s, a Fox should be pretty quick.

So WHY NOT? (yes, I know well that Fox body can be made faster and cheaper with other powertrains)

Thoughts? Questions?

Walt

whiteponygt

I like the idea, its something different, as long as you can get it in the car with minimal headache it will definitely be a sleep and a gas sipper. Here at a local track we had a juiced up 2011 v6 out running a stock terminator.

Walt460

whitepnygt,
Thanks!

At the track Ecoboost trucks that are just "tuned" along with exhaust and intake upgrades, run 13.5-14.5 secs depending on 2wd, 4wd, drivers, and weather. 4wd trucks get down below 2.0 sec 0-60ft. These trucks weigh over 5000#, so just imagine a Fox at 3400#.

The engine will fit. It is 28-1/2" wide across the turbos, 22-1/2" across the heads, only 21-3/4" long. The oil pan is identical to pan used in 2011-2014 3.7L V6, so it will clear the MM-K member. Exhaust exit point do not look like an issue, use F150 H-pipe and cats just cut off after light-off cats and weld up to a 2011+ Mustang H pipe to clear the trans.

I do not know if the 6R80 will clear the trans tunnel. I might decide to use a 2001-2004 SN95 for my first attempt just to get the slightly bigger tunnel and avoid the interior & airbag upgrades.

I am still doing some development on the control system, but I think my next step will be to take the engine out of the 2011 F150 and set it into SN95 chassis I have with a MM-K member set up for a 4.6L to see if the engine mounts line up (I have some 2011 Mustang V6 mounts to try as well) and if the turbos clear.

I am looking for air-to-air intercoolers that fit a Fox or SN95 that have dual inlet on passenger side and single outlet on the driver's side, and have at least the same capacity as the one used in the F150.

Walt

Bill

Staff member
Donator
If you get with MM, they can tell you what will need to be changed on the Kmember, as they have one for the ecoboost now.

Walt460

Bill, Just talked with Mike a Maximum Motorsports, and they do not have or have any plans to have, a K-Member that will put a 3.5L EcoBoost engine into a Fox or a SN95. Just not a priority yet, too busy with S197 swap K-Members and a K-member for the new 2015. (The are working on a Fox K-Member for the 4 cyl Ecoboost.)

I really like MM components, they are well engineered and fit right and work right on the street. This is a result of their Engineering their parts well via CAD and testing via Solid Modeling programs mapped to actual physical testing. The good part of this is that their parts are strong and fit perfectly. The bad side is that such work takes a lot of time.

But since they do not make what I need, I will have to design and build one myself using "cut-and-paste" back-yard methods. I know we can do this, I just do not know how strong it will be when done. I have looked at this a lot, and I am going to use a MM K-Member for a Coyote motor in a SN95 with stock suspension and motor mount locations, and then fab on the EPAS rack mounts from a stock 2011 K-member.

Walt460

Update of sorts..... Sold the 92 LX to a guy in Michigan looking for a rust-free fox body. I know, I already regret the sale. But, my project was going nowhere and I netted good $$. I still have the 2011 F150 drivetrain, still runs and lot drives. Just been too busy to do much with my own projects.

I have been helping others with their 3.5L/6R80 swaps by doing the wiring harnesses, which is keeping me pretty busy (I also do 5.0L/6R80 wiring harnesses). If Ford performance or others don't come out with a wiring kit for 6R80 swaps I may need to start a wiring business to do these.

With the RWD 10-speed auto coming, can't wait to get into the details of the 2017 control systems to see if I can figure out how to do wiring for a 2017 3.5L Ecoboost and 10 speed swap.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Update of sorts..... Sold the 92 LX to a guy in Michigan looking for a rust-free fox body. I know, I already regret the sale. But, my project was going nowhere and I netted good $$. I still have the 2011 F150 drivetrain, still runs and lot drives. Just been too busy to do much with my own projects.

I have been helping others with their 3.5L/6R80 swaps by doing the wiring harnesses, which is keeping me pretty busy (I also do 5.0L/6R80 wiring harnesses). If Ford performance or others don't come out with a wiring kit for 6R80 swaps I may need to start a wiring business to do these.

With the RWD 10-speed auto coming, can't wait to get into the details of the 2017 control systems to see if I can figure out how to do wiring for a 2017 3.5L Ecoboost and 10 speed swap.
Walt, don't fall off the map. We all understand about getting busy and putting our own projects on hold. Hang in there.