• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Time to buy a smoke machine

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I am getting codes for left bank lean and right bank lean, which usually means a vacuum leak. The fuel system is mostly new with the exception of the pump and lines, so I do believe it is a leak. This one is really irritating, as I can usually find them fairly quickly. I'm considering buying a low cost smoke machine if any of you have a recommendation.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Does this mean you're getting P0171 and P0174 codes? Is this on your new project, Bill? ...regards, kevin
Yes sir. It is an intermittent problem that I still have not tracked down. I put it on a smoke machine and couldn't find anything. I have changed a number of sensors with either new ones or with ones I know to be good. I am getting ready to go through the EGR system. The air intake is new from plenum gasket to air filter. It went for several days as a daily driver this week and then popped the CE light again this morning. I will check the codes later tonight or tomorrow. Fun Fun.

Kmax

Intermittent codes are a bummer. When you got the CEL was it during steady-state driving or were you doing a high-rpm hit? Are you using your SCT for datalogs? With both banks setting the codes, it's "probably" not an injector issue. Have you had the engine tuned? How does your STFT look on the datalogs? ...regards, kevin

Bill

Staff member
Donator
This project doesn't have an SCT married yet. I haven't been able to replicate a condition that causes the CEL. They seem to be random. I have gone through the air end completely. I will switch out the fuel pump in the next day or so. I still have the EGR system that could cause it. It really could be an issue with the pump, so that is next. I'll do some sort of write up about the process I went through to find the problem...once I actually find it.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Well...this issue went away on its own for some months and now has returned. I just ordered a smoke machine. Sooner or later, I will find the issue.