• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

86 t-top hatch 4.6 dohc and irs swap

David

I bought this car back when i was in college and it was all stock then...solid car with the 5.0...gas was cheap and the car was fun for going in ditches. Since then, I have done a 5.8 swap. That was a straight forward swap and fun for a little bit. Before I was able to do the things I wanted, me and the old lady had our first son...so the car went into storage...then came our other son...needless to say we were busy with little ones for a while. The car sat from 2007 til 2010...that's when I came across a wrecked 03 mach 1. Ever since I saw my first dohc engine in a ford in the mid 90's...I knew I wanted one in mine. I started collecting parts as well...an 03 cobra its, cobra brakes, etc...I started the interior swap first, then the its swap and then swapping over brakes, fitting the engine, hydroboost, ac parts...it has been extremely slow and eventually it will be done one day. Hopefully my experiences can help others on here...here are some pics...

Attachments

• IMAG0036.jpg
    IMAG0036.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMAG0037.jpg
    IMAG0037.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 92
  • IMAG0146.jpg
    IMAG0146.jpg
    860.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMAG0147.jpg
    IMAG0147.jpg
    755 KB · Views: 78

mustangcrazybj

Looks like its coming along nicely, I really like the ttop cars myself too. As soon as I finish my 4 valve coupe, I'm going to start on my 4 valve swap on my 88 gt ttop car too. Keep us posted on the progress

David

Thanks...i decided to do some body work today. I never liked the molding around the car so im filling in the areas to give it a smooth look...the biggest problem I will have is the front and rear bumper as they lone up with the molding...we will see

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I know the feeling. Mine is an 86. I'm going with a wide body kit that doesn't have the glue on moldings and later model doors to get the pedestal mirrors. I haven't decided on the rear bumper yet. I will be adapting the front, as I want to keep the four eyed look.

David

I'll let you know how the front bumper goes...its fiberglass so it shouldnt be that bad...

David

I finally got everything put together and drove it around the block last month. Once I get home, everything is coming back out and its time to go over everything with a fine tooth comb...

David

Thanks guys, pics are coming as soon as I get home...I used stock exhaust from the Mach. Its very tight clearance especially for the steering joint. I ended up cutting it and moving it as close to frame rail as possible and for it to still function properly. The hydroboost and lines have to be installed before the engine. Its ridiculous how snug things are. I must have put and pulled the engine 4 times to line everything up. Maximum motorsports has a k member that helps some with this problem. Used the fuel tank out of the Mach as well. I cut the filler neck to fit the stock location on the fox. Everything for the most part bolts right up including the cobra irs.

On another note, I emailed hellion yesterday to see what they had to offer or custom make a turbo kit for my Mach fox...

One pain I am having is setting up the turn, reverse, and brake lights. I'm going to rewire it when I'm home to work properly with the 86 tail lights.

David

It will be part of the kit, and I'm looking to get it either around Christmas or tax return time...until then the restoration and body work are next...I never really like the molding around the car so that is going bye bye...

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Its a good choice. MM makes one of the strongest, best geometry k-members on the market. If you need to know more, get in touch with Jonathan (doesn't post much here, but is a member). He has the complete MM kit for the termi motor/Hellion turbo. He's running the torque arm rear suspension kit and Tokico D-specs. If you can get him to talk to you, he is a great source of hands on info.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I spoke to Jonathan. It won't do much good to reach out, as he is in Korea at the moment.