• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Project Insanity

Bobby Amato

I got both motors in the garage side by side, so that I could swap all of my freshly painted parts and gaskets to the Cobra motor. When I cracked the cobra motor open I was very happy with what I found!

Absolute flat top Diamond racing forged pistons, Manley H-beam rods, forged crank, FR500 cams with the entire kit to include all new valves, canton racing road race pan with windage tray, 03 cobra aluminum flywheel and more. I hit the jack pot grabbing that car!

24valves.jpg

Bobby Amato

Back to the interior swap. All of the wiring is now in. I did a lot of soddering, extending wires/adapting to fox components.

I fixed that nasty seat mount on the floor that someone butchered. I cut a piece out of the cobra and welded it in the fox.

DSCN1851.jpg

seatmountpatch.jpg

Since the fox parking brake is in the middle and the SN95 is offset and I had the cobra sitting here I decided to cut out that piece of the trans tunnel where the parking brake mounts and use it in the fox.

foxtransparkingbrakecutout.jpg

cobraparkingbrakecutout.jpg

cobraebrakeweldedintofox.jpg

Here is what it looks like as of today. I'm going to try and get the seats in and start on the door panels tomorrow. Oh yeah, don't worry the tacky grey airbag will be painted black lol

sn95interiorin.jpg

Bobby Amato

Here is what the motor looks like as of today. I still have to button it up, but it's about 90% ready to go. I resurfaced my flywheel and bought a brand new 03-04 cobra clutch today. I'm hoping to fire it off in the next 2 weeks.

builtcobramotor.jpg

Svt Fox

Staff member
Can you do me a favor and please check to see if the top alternator bracket on the Mark-8 engine is the same as the Cobra engine?

I'm having issues locating the bracket I need.

Thanks in advance!

Bobby Amato

Can you do me a favor and please check to see if the top alternator bracket on the Mark-8 engine is the same as the Cobra engine?

I'm having issues locating the bracket I need.

Thanks in advance!

When I get out to the garage I will take a pic of both for you. I have a question for you though. If I put the motor in first will I be able to get to the transmission bolts to get it bolted up? Will there be room between the firewall? Thanks

Svt Fox

Staff member
When I get out to the garage I will take a pic of both for you. I have a question for you though. If I put the motor in first will I be able to get to the transmission bolts to get it bolted up? Will there be room between the firewall? Thanks

I bolted my transmission in from the bottom after the engine was in. I do recommend taking the intake off to get at the top two bolts if you don't have the room. That's what I had to do due to how close my engine sits to the firewall.

Bobby Amato

I bolted my transmission in from the bottom after the engine was in. I do recommend taking the intake off to get at the top two bolts if you don't have the room. That's what I had to do due to how close my engine sits to the firewall.

Thanks for the info!

Bobby Amato

Will do thanks.

Update:
Worked all day today on cleaning, repairing/soldering and re-wrapping the engine wiring harness. The motor is ready to drop in. Friday I had the aluminum 03-04 cobra flywheel resurfaced and bought a brand new 03-04 cobra clutch kit. Hopefully the weather breaks tomorrow and I may be able to drop it in.

Bobby Amato

I'm so close I can taste it :)

There will be a lot of odds and ends before it's road worthy, but I'm hoping to get the car fired off next weekend. Today I removed the factory fuel lines and replaced them with a newer set that was modified and adapts to AN fittings in front. Then I pulled the 86 fuel tank and replaced it with the 96 unit. I pulled the fuel pump because I didn't know if it was stock, but it turned out to be a 255lph pump. I replaced the fuel pump filter and the fuel filter as well as adapted the rear fuel lines.

I should be getting the fuel system parts I ordered from summit this week as well as a COP conversion harness. I'm getting pretty amped up about it now. :rock:

Svt Fox

Staff member
I see that you are running fr500's.

Are those 17x10 in the rear? What size tire?