• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Project Insanity

Speedtospare

Yes cast crank. Lideo from Alternate told me he went high 9's with his cast crank no problem, just keep the RPM under 7000.
I have a 03 cobra motor beside me for the next build.

Svt Fox

Staff member
Yes cast crank. Lideo from Alternate told me he went high 9's with his cast crank no problem, just keep the RPM under 7000.
I have a 03 cobra motor beside me for the next build.

I have heard the cast crank holds up to quite a bit also!

Svt Fox

Staff member
I think it has more to do with the 6 bolt main caps in the mod motor.

Possibly, I know that cast chevy cranks hold up to quite a bit and those are only 2 & 4 bolt main.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't know if anyone who has personally broken a stock 5.0 crank before the block went first.

Speedtospare

I will see how long this setup lasts after I swap the eaton in march. I 03 cobra long block sitting in the garage with low compression on one cylinder. Motor has 25Kms on it. I also have a low km stock bore teksid sitting in my office. I figure I will just swap crank and rods out of the cobra and get new stock bore diamond pistons for the block. This will be followed by boosting this shit out of it, then a TVS, followed by broken imput shafts on the tranny. the mach took out the axles last summer. HEHE its all in the planning

na svt

8 bolt cast cranks can handle 9000rpm and 6 bolts have no problem spinning 8000. On boost they are good for a little over 600rw.

Capri_gt

Wow I didnt think you could spin a 4.6 up that high, thats gotta takes some serious valve train upgrades.

Bobby Amato

lol it's all good.

Well not a lot accomplished throughout the week as I'm usually pretty busy with kids and work. I did manage to get the passenger side header bolted up. The trans is drained and ready for some Royal Purple.

I tried to use the fuel line from the 90 that had been modified to use AN fittings, but when I tried to bend it to route it differently it kinked. I was using a tubing bender too, but it still fudged it up. The one that was originally on the 86 was trash, so I went to pick-a-part today and pulled a new set of fuel lines and installed them on the car today.

Tomorrow I should be able to get the trans topped off, fuel system completed and driver's side header on. It's getting very, very close now. :ahprepare:

PS. I'm so pissed at myself I could puke. When I was at the junkyard today, I had just finished pulling a power seat bracket out of a car with my Milwaukee 1/4 impact when it started to down pour. I grabbed my stuff and hauled ass and got completely soaked. After I was home for about 20 min I went back out to the car and realized that I had left my impact in the last car I was at! I rushed back down to the yard and of course it was gone. I knew it would be, but I had to check anyway. FML.

Capri_gt

Ive lost tools at the junk yard before to man. doesnt matter how long youve been gone they are always already taken.

Bobby Amato

I got a lot done today, but the end result was not what I was hoping for.

I got the passenger side header bolted up, serviced the transmission, fabbed up all of my fuel lines, serviced power steering reservoir, serviced radiator, bought a new drive belt and K&N filter.

After all of that I disconnected the COPS, so I could crank the engine to prime the oil pump. This would be the first time the car has had power to it. Well I put the key in and had power, but the car would not crank and the fuel pump won't cycle. Everything else seems to be working. I did engage the starter with a screw driver in order to prime the oil pump.

I switched out the under dash fuel pump fuse and the engine compartment starter relay, but no luck. I'll continue the search for the problem tomorrow.

Here are some pics of the fuel system and engine bay. The radiator and reservoir are temporary and are not mounted that's why they look funky. I have a brand new canton reservoir and I'm hoping to get a fluidyne radiator soon. Then I'll make the mounts etc.

fuelregulator_zps167be175.jpg

fuellinesran_zpsaf4be641.jpg

cobraengine_zpsb4c21068.jpg

Bobby Amato

I think I may have a bad ground on the engine. I'll check in the A.M. I think I mounted it to the engine mount which has a coating on it. Maybe that's it.