• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

32v 04 cobra motor or 32v 96 cobra motor

Hunter

Which motor should I build I had planned on building a 1997 cobra motor for a turbo but I found a 04 cobra block with crank for 350. Is this a good deal he also has the 04 cobra heads for 900. I think my 97 cobra motor will hold more HP but not sure. The 04 block has no internals other than crank

Bill

Staff member
Donator
It depends on what you want to do and what your budget is. IMO, if you already have the 97 motor, and it is in good shape, use it. 350 is a decent deal on a termi block and crank, but your 97 will hold the turbo at 7-9psi and make better than 450 easy. Plus, the termi motor is an iron block, which is significantly heavier than the Teksid in your 97 motor. I'm not a fan of the termi block. If you do rings/bearings/gaskets and timing components on the 97, put a programmable boost controller on your turbo setup and few other basics, it will handle 12-14 psi under aggressive driving conditions. The cost you save using the 97 will pay for your turbo setup.

Memphis Modular

Termi block is just an iron gt block nothing special. B heads are the bottom of the list and 900 for the cobra heads? He's on crack.

Can get them much cheaper. Your 97 has the best block and same crank as the 03. If you can find a C heads and mach/cobra intake and put it on the 97 with new rods and pistons and let it eat

Bill

Staff member
Donator
The terminator block is actually a different casting than the GT. There are some differences like the knock sensor bosses. I don't remember all the differences, but the castings are not identical.

Memphis Modular

All modular knock sensors are in the intake valley. There's no knock sensor bosses in the termi block valley. How would they fit with the intercooler sitting in the valley?

03 cobra block is a 2 bolt main cap standard iron block

Last edited:

Bill

Staff member
Donator
It doesn't. If you use a 2V block and termi intercooler, you have to grind them off. That's what I was saying. There are a number of small differences like that.