• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

4.6 DOHC into a fox utilizing a carb questions

Nate_V8

Couldn't find much info. I'm not willing to swap to efi, only way I would is if I use a megasquirt system but for now I like the carb idea.

So I currently have an 87 GT T-top, I have a H/C/I 300rwhp stock shortblock 302, custom cam, 25-27mpg on the highway, works good but I'm tired of pushrods and of the EFI system from the 80s lol. I was going to go with 5.4 but with all the fitment issues and having to go with manual brakes, no thanks.

I'll be using a sullivan intake, stock 03/04 heads, stock cams..etc, MSD mod 6 timing controller
Looking at an aluminum mark 8/96-98 block or mach 1, going to use stock 03/04 cobra rods, mach 1 5spd crank if possible.

Had some questions on what is needed!
Fuel system (pump, lines, etc)
What carb? I was thinking a holley 750
Throttle cable and bracket?stock and any aftermarket 4150 bracket?
Team Z k member good idea or not? Do they move the wheels? *will it make it possible for a carbed 4.6 DOHC to fit under a 2.5" cowl? Need the motor to fit under a 2.5" cowl.
Can I keep power steering? Do I need to convert to hyroboost brakes? or can I keep the stock fox booster/MC for now?

Misc
If anyone has a carbed 4.6L DOHC how is your mpg? Longest trip you have taken?
What headers? 1 3/4" LTs? Mid length?
I guess without the computer I can pull all the sensors off? I can goto the wreckers and pick up a lincoln continental 4.6L DOHC or I have found a couple mark 8s for $300ish

Thanks! All the help I can get is appreciated.

Svt Fox

Staff member
Google is your friend. There are more than a few threads out there to help you find what you are looking for.

Look a little harder, you'll find the info!

Speedtospare

Im not a carb guy but I will answer what I can.

Team Z k member good idea or not? Do they move the wheels? *will it make it possible for a carbed 4.6 DOHC to fit under a 2.5" cowl? Need the motor to fit under a 2.5" cowl.
Team z good for a drag setup. Keeps wheels in stock location. Fits under stock hood easily.
Can I keep power steering? Do I need to convert to hyroboost brakes? or can I keep the stock fox booster/MC for now?
No you need to convert or Hydroboost or manual brakes. Motor is too wide
What headers? 1 3/4" LTs? Mid length?
What ever the budget will allow. There very expensive and not worth much HP for the money
I guess without the computer I can pull all the sensors off? I can goto the wreckers and pick up a lincoln continental 4.6L DOHC or I have found a couple mark 8s for $300ish
You going to set it up with a distributor off one of the cams?.