• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

90 LX Charging system issues.

Hello to all fellow gearheads, I'm new here so any and all help is appreciated

So ill start off my issue with the day it started
I took my car to the shop to tend to some transmission issues and to install a new spedo cable, so you can of course assume that I had taken apart my dash. well later that day after driving around my battery started to die for whatever reason. took it home and here's where my adventure started.

Here's my issue, my car does not run off the alternator and the alternator does not get charge back to the battery.

okay so your thinking easy, bad alternator, or bad wiring. Well, here's a list of very obvious problems that I've already attended to:

-New alternator, tested good
-Battery, tested good
-New voltage regulator, spliced into old wiring
-New rectifier plug, spliced into old wiring
-Wire harness from alternator to starter relay is good
-Car starts up with no issues with a charged battery
-Grounds are all good
-Almost positive it has nothing to do with a leak because I've left battery plugged in over night for several days, and car still turns over

After addressing all the obvious nothing has changed, the alternator still does not provide charge to the battery, and the car still runs on nothing but battery. I'm clueless and I need HELP

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Have you followed the trail with the car running? By that I mean using a multi-meter to follow the charging loop while the alternator is actually turning. I'm not a wiring guy, so this is the kind of trouble shooting I end up doing. If you can figure out where the voltage availability stops, you can identify and take a next step.

Maybe not as far as I can but I of course have followed the entire harness to the point where it connects to the battery, and its good.

whiteponygt

Had charging issues with mine and me and a buddy chased it down when I wired up my guages the wire that goes to the charge light in the dash was cut (pretty sure my screw up lol) and once I hooked it up she started charging the way we figured it out was used a jumper wire and jumped it at the alternator that's a good place to start