• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

96 cobra motor waiting to 92 foxbody question

benstein IBC

im have a 92 foxbody and i currently installed a 96 cobra 4v motor and tranny,brakes fuel tank fuel lines and all engine harness l, but im stuck in the electrical part im trying to run the stock foxbody dashboard and dont know how or what to do to get it working with the o.g key and switches... any help will be greatly appreciated...

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Welcome to the party. You are in the right place. I'm not the right person to help you, but there are several wiring people on here that can. There are also some wiring diagrams that may answer your question already posted on here, so dig in and make yourself at home. Post up some pics when you get the chance.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I'm also dealing with similar hurdles with my swap... Any info on this matter would be greatly appreciated!
There is a ton of stuff on electrical hook up on here, as it is one of the most common issues. Welcome to the site. Dig in and read through all the different builds to see how many different ways people have done the same things you are trying to do. Make yourself at home

cpearson1342

I've posted on a few different threads for useful electrical info, here is some of it again though. You guys will probably need more specific pinouts for your cars. Easiest thing to do is make a jumper harness that give power when it needs it to the pcm, there are a few that need constant power, power in run, etc. If you use the donor car's engine harness/pcm, you should be able to run just a few (less than 15) wires to make the jumper, depending on what type of stuff you're keeping.

Attachments

• 03CobraPCM1.gif
    03CobraPCM1.gif
    78.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 03CobraPCM2.gif
    03CobraPCM2.gif
    103.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 46_harness_mod.pdf
    599.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Modular_Wiring.pdf
    963.3 KB · Views: 65
I used a 96 Cobra drivetrain in my 90 Gt and kept the fox dash and cluster.I used diagrams that members have posted on here and this specific shop manual (in the link below) and it saved me many headaches. I will say that one of the things Ford did was that they kept a lot of the same color code wires from 90 to 96 like the temperature,oil gauges etc so that part is pretty easy to figure out.I also didn't use a jumper harness,I just cut a new harness hole in the firewall behind the inner fender and ran the 96 wiring thru that and tied it into the fox dash wiring.I will get a few pictures in a day or so to show you how I ran the harness thru the firewall and tied some of the underhood wiring together if that will help you any.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Ford-M...ash=item3f6acec4ae:g:vJ8AAOSwLs5XKqr1&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

benstein IBC

I used a 96 Cobra drivetrain in my 90 Gt and kept the fox dash and cluster.I used diagrams that members have posted on here and this specific shop manual (in the link below) and it saved me many headaches. I will say that one of the things Ford did was that they kept a lot of the same color code wires from 90 to 96 like the temperature,oil gauges etc so that part is pretty easy to figure out.I also didn't use a jumper harness,I just cut a new harness hole in the firewall behind the inner fender and ran the 96 wiring thru that and tied it into the fox dash wiring.I will get a few pictures in a day or so to show you how I ran the harness thru the firewall and tied some of the underhood wiring together if that will help you any.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Ford-M...ash=item3f6acec4ae:g:vJ8AAOSwLs5XKqr1&vxp=mtr

koo man would really apreciate that, did you have to delete the pats? or did you find a way of bypassing it?

benstein IBC

I'm also dealing with similar hurdles with my swap... Any info on this matter would be greatly appreciated!
what have you done so far? im litteraly stuck on the wiring ?, dont know where to go from here lol
people around me do the 03 motors not the 96_98 ones

Yes I had to buy a sct livewire box and have a pats delete tune put in it,I also deleted the rear 02 sensors in the tune.Here are some pics of how I did mine.
I also took the fox red/blue solenoid wire and connected it to the black solenoid wire on the cobra harness so it would crank off the key.
I did away with the relay under the seat on the fox and connected the green/red stripe fuel pump wire from the cobra harness to one of the old fox relay wires,although I will have to look to see which one.
If you have any other questions just let me know but I will also say that you need to at least get the wiring diagram for the fox instrument cluster and the book I mentioned so you will know where to connect the red power wires and gauges to get the computer powered up.There is also a computer ground wire that needs to connected right by the kick panel area where the computer is.
The way I did mine may not be the best way but so far it's been running good.037.jpg 038.jpg 039.jpg 040.jpg 041.jpg

Attachments

• 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I am still in the process of making the wiring harness look a little neater (and since this picture I have moved the ccrm box into the inner fender area) but here is pretty much what it will look like when it's done.
20160909_173931_001big.jpg

Zasada831

what have you done so far? im litteraly stuck on the wiring ?, dont know where to go from here lol
people around me do the 03 motors not the 96_98 ones
ive only done the mechanical things... I went and bought a wrecked 97 gt and have been using the wiring and parts off it... Basically swapping all of that stuff into mine...

benstein IBC

Yes I had to buy a sct livewire box and have a pats delete tune put in it,I also deleted the rear 02 sensors in the tune.Here are some pics of how I did mine.
I also took the fox red/blue solenoid wire and connected it to the black solenoid wire on the cobra harness so it would crank off the key.
I did away with the relay under the seat on the fox and connected the green/red stripe fuel pump wire from the cobra harness to one of the old fox relay wires,although I will have to look to see which one.
If you have any other questions just let me know but I will also say that you need to at least get the wiring diagram for the fox instrument cluster and the book I mentioned so you will know where to connect the red power wires and gauges to get the computer powered up.There is also a computer ground wire that needs to connected right by the kick panel area where the computer is.
The way I did mine may not be the best way but so far it's been running good.View attachment 2499 View attachment 2500 View attachment 2501 View attachment 2502 View attachment 2503
Thank you for the help