• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mark viii cams?

bigjohnsondohc

I have a 97 Mark VIII motor and I already got the sn95 cobra intake manifold and will be getting some mid length headers or long tubes for it, as well as a JLT intake. Would swapping out cams for either cobra or custom cams be that beneficial? As of now there is probably not going to be any type of power adder in its future but with the engine alone, I would like to tap its potential for a n/a setup. Since the engine is just sitting and everything is accessible, I was contemplating different camshafts.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
The Cobra cams have a distinctly different power band than the Lincoln cams. They are HP biased vs. being luxury sport tuned. I am a proponent of doing rings, bearings, gaskets, and timing components if you have to take the chains off. That would give you a very fresh build and the chains are the hardest part anyway.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
If you want Cobra performance, you'll have to get Cobra cams. Just remember that your bottom end is not forged like that of a Cobra. You Lincoln crank is good to 450-550 hp if it isn't applied with a hammer. It also can't spin quite as fast, as it isn't as well balanced.

ndfastang

The Lincoln exhaust cams are the same as the cobra cams but the intake are different. I went with a set of Cobra heads because I was using the 94 Mark heads whereas the Cobras (and I think yours too) have the newer springs. The Mark cams are made for torque to get that boat moving. Be careful buying Cobra cams. They are side specific and many sell B heads from Marks as if they were Cobra heads. Verify the cam PN's before buying.

Dave

whiteponygt

Sean Hyland sells regrind cams also.bills right on the tear down but if your that far might as well throw in forged bottom end but that defeats the purpose of a budget build.