• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

my 89 4v build thread

bigjohnsondohc

pulled the motor out yesterday and then it started raining. Tomorrow I will have the t5 out and start prepping the engine bay and possibly paint the k member I got for the swap

bigjohnsondohc

Just a little update, I pulled the tranny and then wire wheel and powerwashed the engine bay. Its nice clearing out all the grime and seeing 3 different colors through the engine bay. Besides that, it took me 15 min to remove 3 bolts that held the a arms for the 4.6 k member and 3 hours to remove the last bolt which was nice. Now that is apart, I can start removing the 302 k member and mocking up the 4.6 one.
here it is after being powerwashed and the wire wheel

Riding high with no motor or tranny

bigjohnsondohc

unfortunately nothing much has been happening recently. Hopefully within the next week I can strip out the 302 k member and fit the 4.6 k member in it.

90lxcobra

Just registered on this site, gonna follow your build as I'm about to start mine, i have a 90lx and got lucky and found a whole donor 98 cobra with 36k on it for a steal. Ill start my own thread to so i can upload pics and progress. Good luck with your swap.

bigjohnsondohc

Thanks man, doing a donor is what I should have done. I would rather just swap the entire wire harness over and have everything else readily available.

Zasada831

What backspacing wheels did you have to use in order to fit the sn95 rear in the fox? i have a good rear just not sure what kind of backspacing is needed to properly tuck the tires under the fender lip...?

bigjohnsondohc

its just a stock back spacing for sn95 rims. Although the tires are just 275's, I did roll the rear fenders for good measure but overall I'm happy with the look of it.

As far as an update, I removed the timing chains, reinstalled the crank sprockets and followed the ford assembly and the stupid chain is still binding on the bottom. I literally dont have a clue now, it was spinning perfectly before I removed the timing chain. Its just frustrating and time consuming because I could start transferring the motor onto the 4.6 k member

bigjohnsondohc

Finally got the ball rolling on this again. My biggest holdup was the motor. After replacing the oil pump, I had the toughest time finding someone to realign the timing chains/cams. Found someone local to finally do it. In the meantime, I have purchased a Exedy Clutch kit, new flywheel, complete hydroboost setup, new high torque starter, Aeromotive Fuel pump and I made an order for the Ron Francis Telorvek wiring kit (should be here in about 3 weeks). In the mean time, I have assembled most of the motor and this weekend I will be installing the hydroboost and hopefully mocking up the new SN95 k-member for it. If anyone is looking for replacement bolts for a 4 valve motor, I highly suggest looking into Pro Weld Performance Parts. They specialize in any bolt you need for a 4 valve motor (I just purchased flywheel bolts, water pump pulley, transmission, motor mount and idler pulley bolts), makes everything so much easier. I should be uploading pictures later on.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I love my Exedy Clutch. I went with a stage two and am glad, as the stang has gone to daily driver duty. I have never used Ron Francis, so please post up a ton of pics. Wiring is always the hardest part for most builders. If you have a link to Pro Weld, post it up in your build thread.

bigjohnsondohc

Slight update, yesterday I spent most of the day removing the 5.0 k member and putting in the SN95 k member and swapping the a arms, steering rack and brakes to the new k member. Should have it back on it’s wheels by tomorrow night

Attachments

• CFE46DDC-0DD9-4D32-9D6A-7387C03EC5DD.jpeg
    CFE46DDC-0DD9-4D32-9D6A-7387C03EC5DD.jpeg
    409.4 KB · Views: 6
  • CB5CD79B-7B37-40B9-9B07-2260DB402ACE.jpeg
    CB5CD79B-7B37-40B9-9B07-2260DB402ACE.jpeg
    347.3 KB · Views: 6

bigjohnsondohc

Of course it is not back on its wheels yet. I finally got the new flywheel and clutch installed then bolted the transmission up to the motor (went with a stock T45). I also received a PA Performance high torque mini starter, bolted that up and finally got my Ron Francis wiring kit in the mail. I must say, I am very impressed. Everything is clearly labeled and the instructions are very straight forward. Well worth the money.

bigjohnsondohc

Pics below

Attachments

• 7508EB5F-D238-499F-B043-EF63E3C69348.jpeg
    7508EB5F-D238-499F-B043-EF63E3C69348.jpeg
    312 KB · Views: 10
  • DF6A84EF-2E4A-4FCA-980F-94D5C677A9CB.jpeg
    DF6A84EF-2E4A-4FCA-980F-94D5C677A9CB.jpeg
    341.1 KB · Views: 10
  • D6756A86-6D3C-4B7F-8F20-B45BB0BDA6A5.jpeg
    D6756A86-6D3C-4B7F-8F20-B45BB0BDA6A5.jpeg
    413 KB · Views: 9

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I am digging the little touches. The sticker on the valve cover and the Hurst shifter handle are sweet.