• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

ready to go modular

whiteponygt

ive read plenty of post but this is first time posting im getting everything ready to start my swap.i have a 90gt and im going with a dohc na 4.6.Lucky people around here cant drive so i have purchased pleanty of donor cars i have 97 mark 8 for motor...97 4.6 gt for cross member trans and interior,98 v6 for any other needed parts. Motors and trans installation seem cut and dry, along with hydroboost.the only part that scares me is the wiring ive seen diagram upon diagrams but i guess i just need to do it.im curious to know what parts i can use off the v6 fuel lines? cross memeber? heater box? body harness. also which a arms do i use? the fox the mark or the gt?also anyone have pics on how they routed wiring harnesses.im excited to get started and any info would help.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
If you're using the SN95 factory harness, it will lay in exactly where it came out on the donor car, with very minor securing point changes. The suspension you choose should depend on what you realistically plan to do with the car. If you plan to run skinnies for drag racing, I would go with the Fox A-arms. If you plan to autocross, go with the 98 front end. Suspension choices can dictate wheel/tire choices and visa versa. There are lots of options for suspension choices...all have thier niche.

vabeachsand

Hell yea I street Race!
Donator
The factory k member should bolt right in. Easiest way to do the swap is remove the existing motor from under the car and then lift the new one into place K-member and all attached.

whiteponygt

can anyone tell me if the v6 fuel lines are the same as the v8s same size and length and can i use the v6 tank

whiteponygt

ok i got a 98 and a 97 underhood and dash harness ive noticed a few differences as far as fuse boxes and certain plugs does anyone recommend which one to use, which one will be beter for me to use.And do i need to use the 97 computer or can i use the computer from the lincoln

whiteponygt

ok so i need someone to explain the dos and donts of imrc ive seen where foxnuts closed his up but havent really heard from anyone else. i understand what it is and what it does just does it need to be bypassed or can i leave them in

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
you can leave them as long as they function correctly but i removed mine. My SVT contour has IMRC plates and i wish i could remove them, but i guess it does help on fuel economy. But i would say remove them, unless the function absolutely flawless. The key to the swap is making everything work and be as LESS complicated as possible. The wiring itself will bemore of a headache than anything, so anything that you can make easier is a plus.

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
mine is EXACTLY like that, no smog, IMRC, EGR, or purge system. As a matter of fact mine looks just like yours but with a DIZZY!!!

whiteponygt

you said foxnuts running the gt harness you cant wire the imrc how come you chose the gt harness over the lincoln is it better, or did you not have the lincoln harness. also in the pic was that jb weld u used to closed the holes. ive started on pulling the motor from the lincoln and have the gt stripped down.Im gonna try and start getting some pics of so everyone can tell me where im screwing up.But i must say thanks to everyone so far for the help. also where is the best place to find a set of 96-98 headers id like to switch the lincoln ones

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
Im running a stock harness for a 5.0 with the exeption of a connector change or two, i have also seen guys run a dizzy with a crank trigger setup, not real sure how that works though but looks VERY EXPENSIVE lol. Carb setup is very simple but intake is like a grand, my setup i had everything to make, but its a little complicated but its cheap and effective, no disecting of the wiring required. The hardest part of mine was getting the balls up to cut the whole in the valve cover for the dizzy, kinda a one shot deal there. My setup saved me just guessing probably about 500 bucks i didnt have to buy not one harness lol

Svt Fox

Staff member
You can run the imrc's if you plan on staying N/A with a 96 gt harness. All you have to do is wire an rpm window switch to the imrc contoller and set it to 3-3200 rpm. That's about where the imrc's start to open, in a factory configuration, under WOT. If you are running imrc's, I highly recommend that you delete the egr. That way, you don't gum up your imrc's in a year's time. Otherwise, you'll be pulling the intake off and removing them to de-gunk the imrc's.

I was running the imrc's however, I picked up a few parts and now I am in the midst of a turbo build for my modfox. I don't really need the imrc's to work at this point. I have mine wired open. If I decide to use them for an N/A application in the future, I will have that choice. The plastic imrc's (most desirable) are getting more rare everyday.

whiteponygt

ok so after two hours and some bloody knuckles i got the motor out of the lincoln.I also discovered that the manifolds have been cut where the converters were made into them so i need a set of 96-98 headers.i dont know how up to date the classifed section of the forum is but if anyone has any let me know, shorties longtubes its dont matter.Also id like some opinions from everyone should i do the sn dash with fox interior, just the fox interior, or go all the way with the sn95 interior..Its going in a 90gt.

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
i would get it together first and running before i jumped into the interior, i thought about doing the swap myself but im gonna wait until my car is road ready first, to much stuff going on at once will burn you out, take your time and do it right i have been working on my car forever.

Svt Fox

Staff member
i would get it together first and running before i jumped into the interior, i thought about doing the swap myself but im gonna wait until my car is road ready first, to much stuff going on at once will burn you out, take your time and do it right i have been working on my car forever.

I agree with this 100%!

whiteponygt

oh i completely understand that im not ready to tackle the interior i am just planning ahead if i go with the new dash im gonna have to do some firewall mods.i dont wanna put in the motor then have to pull it back out anymore then i have to already

whiteponygt

dont you have to replace the firewall part that holds the bearing for the steering shaft. thats why i was asking people opinion is it worth the trouble to do the dash.