• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

TR3650 Shifter Cup Bushing and Short Throw

cpearson1342

Since a lot of people are probably using transmissions that have shifter cup bushings, such as the TR3650 that comes in many 99-04 GTs and all Mach 1's, it has come to my attention that many people do not realize there is a plastic bushing that goes onto the bottom of the shifter. I personally experienced a car that I went to test drive where the person did not know this and did not change the bushing over to the new shifter and it was the sloppiest shifter I have ever encountered.

Anyway the whole point of this thread is to tell you guys that amp-distributing also makes a bronze shifter cup bushing, which I just installed on mine to try to tighten up the shifter even more because there was a noticeable amount of slop while in gear with the stock plastic bushing. It does not have as tight of tolerance as I expected, but still significantly tightens up shifting where I would recommend it to others. You can find the bushing on ebay here, and just for reference I have a steeda triax short throw and it was still a significant difference. I would also recommend the triax to anyone interested in a short throw shifter, as I have had the best experience with them, and also the pro 5.0.20170920_114001.jpg s-l1600.jpg

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Let us know how it holds up. We used to be able to get them made from UHMW, but I haven't installed on in years.

cpearson1342

Let us know how it holds up. We used to be able to get them made from UHMW, but I haven't installed on in years.

I'm sure if it doesn't hold up, we will all know within a few months or so because I am quite a hard shifter.... most likely why my plastic bushing was feeling a little loose.