• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Transmission extremely hot !

fstfrd

Donator
Hi guys, I'm having an issue with my transmission getting hotter than normal, after an hour or so drive. I have a billet aluminum shifter handle on the stick, and today just after driving around a bit like 30 min or so, the shifter ball is so hot I can only touch it for about 2-3 sec or so. Anyone experience this type of heat from their Tranny.....and if so any recommendations on cooling this tranny off a bit ?
I run standard ATF Dextron fluid for Ford/GM trans....
Thanx

Bill

Staff member
Donator
How close does your exhaust come to your tranny? I boiled one once when I ran the exhaust right up next to it. If that this the case, you can heat wrap the exhaust next to the tranny to solve the problem. Also, you can use a piece of think gasket material between the shifter and the shift arm to insulate the arm and knob.

fstfrd

Donator
Thanks Bill, after getting under the car today looking at the trans & exhaust distance, I see that the exhaust does run a bit clost to the tranny.....so exhaust wrap it is ! Thanx for the help...!

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I was reminded by one of our lurkers that I've boiled 3 transmissions over the years. :facepalm: I had forgotten about a Mustang II back in the late 1980s:D