• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My ModFox Conversion

04Ryan

Well here is our 1992 Notch we picked up...64k original miles...garage kept! Couldn't beat it...but even the wife agreed the 2.3L needed to go! LoL And after having multiple 9 second Modmotor setups the choice to re-power the Notch was easy!

Here is a pic of me pulling the donor car home...got the whole car for $500 :)

So I let the wife drive the Notch for a month or so while I acquired a bunch of parts...but the time came for me to strip the Notch. Wanted to paint the engine bay before we got started...

Here she is after a degrease and wash at my buddys shop for paint...

I'll have to upload some more pics...I got the 8.8 built this past week. Complete with North Racecar brackets and 31 spline axles. I scored a 2013 Boss 302 torsen diff and added some 3.73 gears. I sanded and cleaned the diff real good and painted it a nice satin black to finish the rear off. I also picked the Notch up from my buddy's shop this past Friday...so I'll get some pics of the finished product :)

04Ryan

I'm a 2V guy all the way! Wife and I already have the custom license plate picked out..... 2V NOTCH :D

So far I have a set of Stage 3 ported heads, Comp 270 cams, Diamond pistons, ARP head studs, Boss 302 forged rods, stock crank and a few other goodies. Gonna start with the PI intake for now...goal is to run a 11.50 on motor only. Last 2V I built for a buddy runs high 11's N/A in a full weight 2000 GT with a Edelbrock intake and 6061.com plenum. So a lighter and smaller Fox Notch shouldn't have a problem running mid 11's...which is as fast as they will let you run without a rollbar. If not I have a nitrous kit sitting here at the house....a 75 shot should do the trick :) Not sure if I'll do the Edelbrock first or just keep the street friendly PI intake and spray it if I can't meet my ET goal. Either way she'll be a ton of fun on the street. Car is going to get a full repaint after Christmas...as well as a full interior resto. Can't wait to hear it run!

04Ryan

Correct...I like the Fox interior. Gonna keep all the factory stuff like interior, seats and exterior trim paint and whatnot. Just going to update the engine bay a tad :)

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Looks awesome. I dig the paint. Have you considered doing a Teksid block swap while you have it apart?

04Ryan

Looks awesome. I dig the paint. Have you considered doing a Teksid block swap while you have it apart?

Ya know I really did...but people don't give them away around here. I couldn't find one for what I thought was a decent price. So I was going back and forth on the idea when the donor car fell into my lap. Which had a perfectly running iron block...so I'm using that. Actually dropping the block and my crank off tomorrow to get bored .020" over and have the crank balanced to the new rotating assembly :)

419forest

Correct...I like the Fox interior. Gonna keep all the factory stuff like interior, seats and exterior trim paint and whatnot. Just going to update the engine bay a tad :)

I agree with keeping the fox interior; maintains the original design of the build. great job!

04Ryan

Finally got to get back to work on the Notch...got some work done this past weekend :)

Conversion1.jpg Conversion2.jpg Conversion3.jpg Conversion4.jpg Conversion5.jpg

Got the K member out of my buddies 03 Cobra for free! So now that she has a "Cobra" part in her...she'll be soooooper fast! LoL All new brakes, 99 GT calipers, 95 spindles, Fox lower A arms, all new shocks and struts, J&M CC plates. Hydroboost setup off my 97 donor car, original Fox rack. I modified the pedal assembly like some guys did on here and it work perfect. I was able to reuse the stock steering shaft, didn't wanna buy a $200 steering shaft right now if I didn't have to. I don't have any issues with the stock rag joint...sure it ain't the prettiest, but once the engine is in you won't see it!

Welded the torque boxes up tonight...now I just need to weld the subframes on tomorrow night and then I'll be ready to prep the underside of the car and get it painted. Then I can install the 97 fuel lines and brake lines...then install the rebuilt 8.8 that has all kinds of goodies in it :)

04Ryan

I also got my block and crank back from the machine shop...she got honed .020" over and I had the crank re balanced for the new rotating assembly. So while the paint is drying on the underside of the car, I plan on assembling the engine. I have a T45 that will be going in the car along with a stock Ford Racing 03 Cobra clutch along with a Stifflers tranny crossmember. Ordered a few rolls of Elliott engine harness tape to redo all the harnesses so they look like new. We just did a buddy's 99 GT and it's worth the time and effort! Especially since I'll be pulling most of mine apart to remove wires I won't be using and extending others and whatnot. Slowly but surely she's getting there :)

04Ryan

Well it's been hectic last couple weeks...but the Notch has come a long way!

Most of the wiring is done...I de-loomed it all and removed any unnecessary wires and re-loomed it with new Elliott harness tape. That was fun.....said nobody ever! I have 3 connections to make for the PCM power and a couple other "hot in start" wires. Then I just need to wire in the OBDII port and mount that somewhere. Battery is back in the car and everything else works! New PCM for the 4.6 came in today. My 140mph cluster should be here tomorrow. Thanks to Roadhawg I have a 5 speed trans tunnel panel on the way. Figured I'd do it right and weld on the same panel the 5 speed cars came with from the factory. My auto trans tunnel is smaller and won't work too well with the lower shift boot especially with a aftermarket shifter like the Tri-Ax. Bad news is I need to pull the seats, console and carpet to install.

So here are some pics of the progress...the underside of the car has been welded, cleaned and painted. Subframes are welded and the fuel and brake lines off the 97 are riveted to the floor pan like stock. Fuel tank has been dropped and cleaned and a Walbro 255 pump installed. All the new brakes have been installed and the brakes have been bled. My conversion E brake cables should be here this weekend. So then she'll have a working E brake again. But in the meantime the new 99 GT brakes work great :D

I cut the spot welds on the lower radiator mounts off the 97 and welded them to the Fox. I then cut the spot welds off the lower radiator mounts on the Fox and removed them. I then build a custom upper radiator mount that also doubles over as my coolant reservoir mount. Thanks to Roadhawg again for the ideas :)

As you can see I also got my new rims and tires mounted up :D I love the way they look on the car! And the machined finish goes great with the brushed stainless tailpipes! Tires are 245/45/17's up front and 275/40/17's out back.

04Ryan

So with all that done it was time to start the engine build!!! My favorite part :D

Started last night actually...got the blocked cleaned and painted. Checked main bearing clearance then went ahead and installed the crank and got her all torqued down to spec with all new hardware. The crank still spun afterwards...so I guess that's a good thing ;)

Then the real fun began tonight...got to hang all my rods on my pretty Diamond pistons. These babies are 3.572 in size -10cc dish with valve reliefs. (11:1) Top ring has been moved down over stock location. Side skirts are Moly coated and the tops have been Ceramic coated. Trend performance .155" H13 tool steel wrist pins...Total Seal AP Steel rings gapped to my super secret specs ;) Rods are Boss 302 rods from my local Ford dealer. These rods are super light weight and very strong! (Think over 800rwhp) They come with 12 point ARP style rod bolts since the shift point on the Boss is 7500! These rods will be more then I'll need for this build. Also picked up a set of FRPP shorty headers like I had on my previous 2004 GT. I didn't want to run long tubes on this car, and honestly they don't make much HP on the 4.6. I actually picked up in the 1/4 getting rid of my BBK LT's I had on Supercharged 2004 GT and going with these same shorty headers LoL.

Tomorrow I'll torque the heads down and finish up by degreeing my Comp 270 cams and getting the front cover buttoned up. The guy that painted the engine bay for me, did up a set of Valve Covers for me. So I'll pick those up tomorrow...can't wait to see those beauties! Also going to get my flywheel resurfaced tomorrow and I'll be ready to drop this bad boy in the Notch real soon! Honestly if I hadn't already committed to going to a local Mustang meet this Sunday I'd have her in this weekend. But the wife thinks it's a good idea if I come out from the garage for at least half a day LoL But it's getting really close to the first start of my 2V ModFox :)

419forest

Super job! It makes me really appreciate guys like yourself that do frame-off restorations along with engine work.