• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My ModFox Conversion

04Ryan

Super job! It makes me really appreciate guys like yourself that do frame-off restorations along with engine work.

Thanks! I just couldn't bring myself to just drop a mod motor in there and leave it the way it looked. I mean you gotta pull everything apart to make the Mod motor work anyways. Might as well do a little housecleaning while you're in there!!

04Ryan

Got the engine done tonight...got the cams degreed to 108.5* ICL. Right where I wanted them! These will sound really nice at idle :)

Also got my new valve covers bolted up and some other odds and ends done. Yes I'm buying new idler pulley's...I just wanted to mount them to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

If all goes well tomorrow she'll be sitting inside the engine bay of a 1992 Fox :D

Bill

Staff member
Donator
It looks like it is coming together nicely. The engine compartment looks really nice.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
It does look nice. Its hard to tell from the pics. How much clearance is there between the motor and firewall?

04Ryan

It does look nice. Its hard to tell from the pics. How much clearance is there between the motor and firewall?

A lot actually...I was worried from what some of the guys on here were saying. But using a factory K member she sits over an inch away from the firewall. It has a tad more room then the 97 I pulled the engine out of honestly.

04Ryan

She runs!!!!

Don't mind the dirty stock intake piping...that's just there for start up. I'm working on a custom CAI setup.

Exhaust will be here tomorrow...so open headers will have to do for now :)

04Ryan

Did you use oem harnesses and wiring?

I used the PCM and engine wiring harness out of a 2003 GT...I didn't want to use the 97 donor car stuff because I wanted COP instead of the older coil pack setup. But I removed any unneeded wiring from the 2003 harness and spliced it to the 92 Fox wiring. Wasn't too bad to be honest. Most of the engine stuff is standalone once you have the PCM and engine harness...just need a few power wires and since I kept the Fox cluster I needed to wire up the coolant and oil pressure sending units. I'll also need a tach adapter since the COP computers don't generate a tach signal like the 96-98 cars.

coryjones

Very nice man got a question for ya how did you get around the security? I have the coloum out of my donor but i am not going to use it.

04Ryan

Very nice man got a question for ya how did you get around the security? I have the coloum out of my donor but i am not going to use it.

I tune my own vehicles with SCT's Pro Racer package...so turning the PATS off in the tune is a simple task for me. But seriously...who wants a stock 4.6?!?! There is so much left on the table with these motors that it's not funny...I'd say a tune is a must regardless of the PATS system! But that's just me...LoL

coryjones

I will have to have a tune but was just asking as i would like to get it to fire up before i do the final install. I am building a high compression big cam 5.4.

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
I will have to have a tune but was just asking as i would like to get it to fire up before i do the final install. I am building a high compression big cam 5.4.
Its easier just to get a tuner and turn it off or have someone burn you a chip using Quarterhorse. Or use the transponder ring and hide the key under the original column, but then you run into a issue of trying to wire in the fox ignition.