• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Distributor Drive.

427fairlane

I'm thinking about doing a distributor drive on my mark viii motor. Anyone have some info on how to do this? I've seen them for sale but I'd like to do it myself if I can figure out how.

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
I tried it and had the car running, was a PITA to get timming right, then the weld broke on the dizzy, so I ditched the whole setup and glad I did. You can look at my build but like I said I went a different route than what I started to do. There is a guy on here with a dizzy drive for sale, look in the classifieds

Memphis Modular

It has its ups and downs, you can run a more complicated box that will control more timing and retard features, more control over each cylinder, traction/launch controls, one coil no more multiple coils, just also need a crank trigger. Wouldnt imagine it being hard to set up, prob need to cut down a dizzy, or find the one they use, might be one of the race only msd versions, find a way to attach it to the timing gear with out effecting the cam sensor and seal the valve cover around it.

427fairlane

Not for sure yet. This will now be a full time race engine. At the time I asked this it was just going to be a street motor.

Memphis Modular

Unless you plan to push A LOT of boost at 8000 rpms+, c heads will make more and more usable power. The exhaust ports on b heads are the worst of the 4v's there's a reason people can barely give B heads away

Bill

Staff member
Donator
If you already have the B heads, find a good porter and stick with them. They will make plenty of power with moderate boost. Unless your budget is huge, something else will be the bottle neck before the heads reach their top potential. I do recommend a programmable (or at least electronic adjustable) boost controller. On3 Performance has a nice kit that would be reasonably easy to adapt to a B-head modfox and would be a bit cheaper than a Hellion kit and fully upgradeable as your budget progressed over a couple of seasons.

Memphis Modular

C heads with smaller ports flow more cfm than b heads, velocity, bigger isn't better. C heads will make substantially more power under peak as a b head and that will increase your et and mph. C heads can be had for 3-500$ if you port b's. Just clean up the short turn radius and area around the bowls and work heavily on the exhaust ports, b's had the smallest of all 4v heads

vabeachsand

Hell yea I street Race!
Donator
I have a distributor drive setup w/ a MSD Dizy and new cap and plug wires for a B headed motor for sale.

I ported my B heads and have a 76mm on3 turbo setup on my car. The B heads create better atomization of the fuel due to the shape of the twin port runners for each cylinder.

Shoot me a PM if you are interested in the dizzy setup. I have it sitting on my shelf collecting dust.

vabeachsand

Hell yea I street Race!
Donator
Here are the flow numbers for intake/exhaust...
All test perform on Super Flow SF900 FLOW BENCH

valve lift....96/98........99/01.........03/04
.050.........39/34........40/34...........40/32
.100.........79/71........88/74...........88/68
.150.........114/97......120/102........118/97
.200.........144/119.....152/123........151/120
.250.........172/132.....178/138........178/135
.300.........194/138.....197/138........201/150
.400.........217/144.....218/143........221/163
.450.........225/145.....222/145........229/166
.500.........231/146.....225/145........233/169

The later B heads had better valve chambers than the early revisions that were heart shaped. C heads create alot of turbulence, but they will outflow a set of B heads. Flow isn't everything. The better you atomize the fuel, the more power you will make.

Memphis Modular

Your right flow isn't everything, b heads prove it. Huge dual runner ports yet it kills the velocity. The new c heads with a smaller intake runner out perform the b heads. The "turbulence" helps with the air/fuel mixture. You're own rebutle sank your argument lol