• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Progress on my Zephyr

massacre

Donator
Hello,

I finally had some time over the past few weeks to get my engine and trans out of the old project, to my house 20 miles away, and then onto a dolly and under the new project and installed.
I have been making progress on the car, but mostly just getting everything in working order like lights, wipers, blinkers, horn, etc.

Since I finally got the mill in, figured I’d post it here. Now it is a modular fox hahahaha

tONVuf.jpg

GP6mUu.jpg

uQAhig.jpg

massacre

Donator
I was able to modify my gas filler tube last week.
I bought a 1986 LTD wagon gas tank, because I am going with fuel injection.
I was able to locate the proper fuel pump hanger for this tank, but the fuel pump was very small.
Was able to modify the supply tube to fit my 255lph pump. The hanger takes the same electrical harness connector, so that is a plus.
The 2-1/4” stock gas filler tube does not fit the new tank. New tank is 2” so went with a later fox filler tube.
Problem is- the stock filler tube mounts with 4 bolts, the new tube mounts with 3 bolt flange.
Ended up cutting out a flange from steel plate, welding that to the stock flange, and redrilling the 4 holes.
It took longer than I thought to get it right.

w8k1mh.jpg

Came out OK sorry for the crappy pic.

I have decided to convert to COP ignition. There just isn’t enough room to mount the coil packs in a way that I like.
Ended up pulling the motor to swap the COP valve covers.
One of my valve covers was broken so I welded it up.

Before

MOWEjr.jpg

After

ulsFOd.jpg

YLcH7Y.jpg

It is not perfect but it will work lmao.

Waiting on valve cover gaskets and fuel rails and regulator.
Was going to run a stock-style fuel rail but it is really tight to the firewall.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I wasn't able to see any of the pictures. What size tank did the LTD Wagon come with? I've got one on my project list that will be a cruiser for road trips. I'm considering doing the T-bird tank for a bigger volume, but haven't done all the research yet and have only seen it done a couple of times.

massacre

Donator
The pictures are hosted from an image hosting site that works on every other site.
Not sure what is going on there. I can see them fine

massacre

Donator
Thanks!
Was originally a 6 cyl automatic, but I bought it as a roller. Had no engine, no trans and no driveshaft.

I was able to complete the COP conversion wiring, used a Markviii COP engine harness from the junkyard, plus a 2v COP swap harness I bought by mistake. Took a little while to get it right but I’m happy with that.
Also got a new head cooling mod, made by Wonder Racing. What a great product!
I was using Markviii heater core supply and return pipes, but they are too tall. This new kit puts the supply much lower, I’m going to have to shorten and weld the return pipe to match. I need to keep the heater core for defroster.

Got the new fuel rails installed, and have the fittings to route everything. Have to make a bracket for the regulator still.
Gonna do the final install on the cooling mod today, and start reworking the return tube. Then wrap the engine harness and reinstall the engine hopefully this weekend.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I keep checking in over here and there haven't been any new posts for months.
agreed. We need some new builders. When I went to Ford Nationals at Carlisle, There were a ton of coyote conversions that I had never seen. Most of them used the Ford Racing wiring harness set up that makes the installation easy. We need to document one of those builds.

massacre

Donator
This week-
re-installed transmission, driveshaft and driveshaft loop
made FPR bracket, finalized and installed fuel lines
installed lokar trans dipstick, power steering pump, P/S lines and cooler
hooked up cooling mod hoses and vacuum hoses

next big thing is mounting the trans cooler and lines.
After that it's basically all wiring

massacre

Donator
Added 5 gal of treated gas to tank. Gas gauge works = bonus. Cycled key until 40psi on the gauge. It is holding 40psi which great, no leaks yet. I might have a slight leak in return line, we'll see.