• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Wide body kits

Bill

Staff member
Donator
So, I'm planning to do a wide body kit on 86 Vert. With Cobra suspension front and back, it will already have a wider than stock stance and I plan to use some nice size meat on it. The only track time it will see is likely to be the occassional autocross. The rest of the time it is a street driven weekend car. There are several kits out there (Maier Racing, Wings West, Fat Foxx, Preform Resources, Chicane23, etc.). I was planning on the Maier Racing kit, but am now leaning toward Perform Resources. Knowing what I plan for the life of the car, any thoughts?

ModFoxMustangs

Staff member
1.jpg

http://www.jbadominator.com/Photos

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I've always like the Dominator. Been in that one, but it was hand made. I was a dealer way back in the day and used to represent them at FFW and other shows. I'm the one on the right.
JBA surprise foto op.JPG

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I really like this one from Maier Racing as well. This is the 1 1/2" kit. They also have a 3" kit. Either kit is about $1150 plus shipping. I think the 3" kit on my vert would probably look silly. I plan to run something in the neighborhood of 295s in the back and 275s in the front. That might change if I decide to go with a big brake kit or 18" wheels, but for now I'm keeping a tight grip on my reality check.

oncarmre79rf.jpg

oncarmre79ff.jpg

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I have requested additional information from fatfoxx.com on installation and perhaps more pics. Have not recieved anything yet. You'll have to go out to the site to look at the pics. I couldn't get them to post this evening.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I like the Wings West kit, but I'm afraid it might turn out a bit ricey for my tastes on my vert. One of my concerns is what looks like a rear fender that is attached with two sided body tape. Not going to happen on my ride. Also the wing isn't part of my style. I will use some sort of a small wing, but a bit more subdued.

Wings West 1.JPGWings West 2.JPG
Okay, if he hadn't done some of the extra stuff on the door and had picked a better hood, wheels and tires, etc...
wings west on a vert 1.jpgwings west on a vert 2.jpg
87wide10pckit_01.jpg
This is a little cleaner example, but not on a vert. I think it would look okay on a vert if tastefully done.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Chicane 23 makes this look really good. My concern is durability. The price is right and mounting would not be difficult. The kit offers 2" of extra space, with would be a bad way to go. And because the bond directly to your existing body, finish really is up to you. The fronts are available in carbon fiber.
fox_wing1.JPG

fox_flares.jpg

Fox_splitter2.JPG

Fox_fender.jpg

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Maier Racing 3" kit. If you want rubber on the blacktop, this is it.
mikeskillingstad1.jpg

Bill

Staff member
Donator
very nice.. I like the Maier Racing one...
Which one. The 1 1/2" or the 3"? I like them both, but saw a 3" at a show on a vert and it looked (not well done). I like the well defined lip of the 2" front (full front fender) on the Chicane 23. If I use them, I'll need to pick a set of rear quarters that have some way to match up without looking like a kid car. That also would mean that the rears had to be at least 2". I don't mind an offset as long as the back is wider than the front.

ModFoxMustangs

Staff member
Which one. The 1 1/2" or the 3"? I like them both, but saw a 3" at a show on a vert and it looked (not well done). I like the well defined lip of the 2" front (full front fender) on the Chicane 23. If I use them, I'll need to pick a set of rear quarters that have some way to match up without looking like a kid car. That also would mean that the rears had to be at least 2". I don't mind an offset as long as the back is wider than the front.

This one looks nice..
mikeskillingstad1.jpg

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I like that one as well, but have not been able to find it on a vert. That is the 3" kit. I do dig the monster rubber. This is what he says about them:

79-93 3" Flared
Front Fenders

These units will provide 3" more clearance over stock allowing the use of up to 17" X 12" wheels, depending on wheel off set and tire size.

If those were on the back of your drag car, you could just about run sportsmans out back.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
These are some the images of the FatFoxx kit. I still have not heard back from them, so I swiped these off their site. Don't let the wheels fool you. They are custom stretched (which he has a service that does). Those are 315/35/17s on the back. They offer a lot of the little parts like side skirts that fit the kit. The air scoops are functional, so that is a plus. This is one of the more expensive kits to buy, but it is different from the crowd.

fatfoxx1.jpg

fatfoxx2.jpg
fatfoxx3.jpg

I found a link to his prototype photos, including some very cool tech on an oil cooler. This is a link worth following!

http://www.mustangphotos.com/photopost/member.php?uid=2924&protype=1

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I have been told that these are no longer produced, but there are a few floating around. Probably not something I would do on this current project, but given the right parts, tires and wheels, etc... These pics are from a Mustang club in Germany.
daytonakit2_full.jpg
daytonakit1_full.jpg
Daytona wide body.jpg
There's just something about that Thunderbird front end...

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I've been talking to folks about how to attach some of this stuff and how to do some of the other custom work I want to do for the vert. This is what I've come up with so far that I think I can handle. I've been told that you may go fast enough that your panel comes all apart, but where this glue is, you will still have that piece of the panel. I'm okay with that. There are a couple of the Fusor products that might be better suited (after having visited the TCPGlobal website), but this was the link I was sent, so I thought I'd pass it along. This same company makes one that is a slow set, but can be flash set with a heat gun one you have your panel in place.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
This was the other component. I was concerned with full skin quarters rattling and vibrating, as I have seen them do that. Now I understand how to prevent that.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Here is an installation thread for the Maier Racing parts. Didn't get a warm fuzzy from it, but it didn't scare me off either. I like what the guy did with the OEM sheet metal relative to installation prep of the rear quarters. I certainly won't be using visible fasteners to hold on my quarters. That's just heinous, even on a track only car. I also need the fit and finish to be better than that. I don't car if the parts are designed for the low budget racer. Attention to detail should be a given for a product that is marketed through multiple retail outlets.
http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45302

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Tiger racing widebody2.jpgTiger racing widebody not on their web site.jpg
I like this one as well. This is Tiger Racing, but is not on their web site. I particularly like the rear quarters on this one. I think they would blend well with the vert's body lines.

Attachments

• Tiger racing widebody3.jpg
    Tiger racing widebody3.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 118

FatFoxx

These are some the images of the FatFoxx kit. I still have not heard back from them, so I swiped these off their site. Don't let the wheels fool you. They are custom stretched (which he has a service that does). Those are 315/35/17s on the back. They offer a lot of the little parts like side skirts that fit the kit. The air scoops are functional, so that is a plus. This is one of the more expensive kits to buy, but it is different from the crowd.

View attachment 752

View attachment 753
View attachment 754

I found a link to his prototype photos, including some very cool tech on an oil cooler. This is a link worth following!

http://www.mustangphotos.com/photopost/member.php?uid=2924&protype=1
Hey Bill,
I have requested additional information from fatfoxx.com on installation and perhaps more pics. Have not recieved anything yet. You'll have to go out to the site to look at the pics. I couldn't get them to post this evening.
Sorry bud. I did not know you needed any info. I had a friend on another site tell me about this thread. To answer your question, the installation is intense on someone that does not have any kind of expeience with the kits. Proffesional Body shops are the only ones that Iwould trust to put on the kit. Alignment is critical. The kit is a bolt on/3M adhesive bonding process. There are some people that says it's a stick on kit. I laugh at that because I can literally LIFT MY CAR by pulling up on the quarters. There is a lot of pieces to the kit. It is not just the quarters. I went with the WHOLE CAR LOOK not just the quarters. Check out the site for more pictures. I will try to get some more posted up when I get a chance this evening. We are working on an A-pillar pod too. I need to get down to the shop and try to get a part done for Latemodel Restoration in hopes of selling these in the near future. You can also check out FatFoxx.com on facebook bro. I am looking foward to checking out all the nice rides on this site, but for now I need to take my kids to school. Post back bro and thanks! If I can help you with anything else just let me know Bill.