• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I got the 4V running pretty decent in the fairlane.

ndfastang

I know. I've considered their setup but really want to have it proven. I've seen so many setup's with their stuff and the MMR setup and different cars had to run 170* thermo's and drill holes for flow and manipulate things. I don't want to spend the time chasing down a cooling issue with these little fixes here and there. Plus, I'm running the Heater. It's a family street cruiser and it gets cold here. I've really though of just going this route and probably will but need more reading on it.

Thanks for the idea though.

Dave

Speedtospare

I removed all the confusing stuff. I run a moroso inline thermostat housing with a 180 stat. Stat has a 7/16 hold drilled in it. I may go slightly small next year as it still takes a little too long for the car to warm up if you have to hope in and drive. I usually give it 2 minutes to warm up and it works perfectly. The extra line is for the head cooling mod which I recommend.

BTW thats a fox body style rad.

903865_10151584641640470_1635732240_o.jpg

549180_10150931989960470_48198340_n.jpg

ndfastang

So you run just a straight line from the crossover to the thermo and then radiator and then a straight line from the bottom of radiator to the lower to the engine. I can't see it but where is the rear line tapped into? I have the rear crossover mod which I'll be using with my heater in line with it and the heater return would then have to go to the radiator side of the thermo from their pics in the On3 site. I guess I'd just block off the line from the core to the back of the water pump then and it goes to the thermo in stead?

Speedtospare

Yes, The small line from the side of the theromostat goes to the head mod. There a coolant line in between the heads in the back. (cant remember what kit it was). ON the lower part of the engine I just capped off the extra ports (welded aluminum) That were not required. I dont have a trans cooler hooked up at the moment.

ndfastang

I'll have to dig into it some more. I found a 2 row radiator that I want to run and it's a cap style also so I could run the old style setup but that drilling the perfect size stuff really bugs me.

hipoman

Syill watching ur build. Loving it.
Check out the march 2016 street rodder mag There is a 51 ford club coupe. Its got a Shelby GT500 5.4 in it. Love it.

ndfastang

I'll have to check that out. My 07 F150 has 140,000 on the 5.4. I might pull that out and put a V10 in it's place and build a nice package out of the 5.4 for a race car.

ndfastang

I got a little done to the car and made a decision. Engine and all is back in, I installed the 50# injectors and am going ahead with the blower setup. I have ditched the AC idea and still haven't told the wife. Don't care. I'm the one driving it. So, I started on a FMIC setup. I can run a 3" IC with 2.5-3" pipe after cutting as much as I could off from the front rock shield and grill without destroying the factory look. I built my own support bar from the lower frame cross up to the latch assembly so I could make the needed room for the intercooler.

First, here is the coolant crossover in the back before I put it all back in the car...

Here's a bent 3" foam intercooler shaped to the one I'm getting. This is before I modified the support and latch assembly......

Here's the grille and stone guard installed as well as a modified hood latch lever and grill support brace........

I now have room to put the actual intercooler in place when I finally get it. The engine is back about 1" from before which gave me much needed room for a bigger radiator and to get the steering to fit. It's close with the steering but it works. I had to extend the 4 link bars to give the driveshaft that needed play but I wanted to do that for better handling and fit the slightly bigger tires back there when I go that route. So, here is the engine all back in place and going together.......

I'm going to run a slot style blow thru MAF up by the TB and use an atmospheric BOV closer to the intercooler. I'm also going to run the On3 coolant setup and delete the lower thermo. I still need to decide if I'm going to use the cap on the radiator and run the degas bottle or just run an old overflow and fill thru the thermo. That would give me more open space and a cleaner look overall. We'll see. No I need to get the radiator, IC and start cutting and welding some aluminum. I'll get back to it soon I hope.

Dave

ndfastang

It's been a while since I posted anything because it's been that long since I've played with the car. I've been so busy with the house and kids. Anyways, Intercooler is mounted and I'm running the tubing from it to the blower and the intake. Had a few different options but I think I have settled on this route for better component placement and MAF reading.

I cut into the radiator support for the hoses and such. I have to clearance them better once I have the final pieces in place and positioned.

I'm thinking this is the final routing. The aluminum 3" piece is just for angle and mockup. I'm running 2.5" on everything in this setup. Plenty big for the power I'm looking at.

I think the filter will go in the fender well just where I have that fuel filter positioned. I can fit the blower inlet tube between the two lines and it can be placed there I think with the right angled tubing. Once it's in place, I'll cut out a cool air inlet for air to reach it rather than use the hot radiator air for intake.

Here is what the intercooler will look like through the grill. It's not mounted in this pic but it shows the final look. Not bad. I was afraid I'd have to rice the car out to fit one in there. Everything works and I still have room for a 2.25" radiator that I'll get ordered in someday.

More to come eventually. Other projects are killing my time and money.

Dave

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Dave, it looks good to me. I've enjoyed watching the progress. I haven't turned a wrench on my convertible in 4 years now. I probably still have another year before I get to play with it again. As you said, too many other projects competing for time and money.

Speedtospare

Looking really good. I would try and fit a larger intercooler. That unit is pretty small and it will effectively cool the vortech adequately