• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Foxbody 4.6 Dohc Swap

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
Gonna be a couple days before i get to do anything to mine been sick as hell and dont see no end in site yet, figures the day i get my parts i get sick, lol. Oh well i needed a break i got it

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
keep plugging at it. Dash look to be a PITA type of job I am avoiding
It wasnt to bad i have to do it again i got another one to match the interior i will take some pics this time of the process. The cut is the hard part the rest aint to bad lol

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
Well i got to feeling a little better today and went out and changed the injector harness to the cobra harness i got and jumped the starter over (hot wired it lol) and she fired up, it was a little fussy at first but i let it run for a few minutes and i think it will be just fine. So now i gotta straighten up some junk in the bay and try to change the starter and oil pan. But for now it will start and run again, Thanks Kurt, Josh, and Bobby couldnt of done it without you guys.

Svt Fox

Staff member
Well i got to feeling a little better today and went out and changed the injector harness to the cobra harness i got and jumped the starter over (hot wired it lol) and she fired up, it was a little fussy at first but i let it run for a few minutes and i think it will be just fine. So now i gotta straighten up some junk in the bay and try to change the starter and oil pan. But for now it will start and run again, Thanks Kurt, Josh, and Bobby couldnt of done it without you guys.

Not a problem! I'm glad that it runs again! It's going to look so much cleaner with the COP set up!

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
I really like the looks but i got some other issues to get lined out first. I think the reason my gauges are working is due to the fact that the cluster is a 94-95. I dont know if there was a wiring difference or what but i have no tach, and no lights. Just one more query in my list of things to fix lol

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
The car is running but thats about it lol. It is hard to start and idles like shit and hesitates on the rev, maybe a fuel injector or plugs, vaccum leak, or who knows, any ideas peeps

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
With some wise advice i was instructed to buy a scanner/code reader so i got this on the way. Maybe i can get some issues worked out without my brain trying to explode lol.

Attachments

• scanner.jpg
    scanner.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 48

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
Damn man, sorry to hear you are having so many issues. I hope you get it figured out.
Im sure i will with time and MONEY lol, its just very hard to find a complete car as a donor around where i live, like the cobra car you bought cheap around here it would still be like 3 grand if not more, I know finding bits and peices here and there sucks for me as far as plug and play but thats just the way it is. Im gonna give it a tune up and double check some stuff and maybe by then the scanner will be here and i can check some more things out. I think my alternator may be the culprit, maybe losing voltage to the coils and causing the rough idle crap and the misfire. On the mark VII harness the alternator harness was built into the the actual harness (BLK/ORG battery+ and the voltage regulator 2 wire plug ) but on the cobra harness all that is there is the BLK/ORG battery+ wire there is no voltage regulator plug so i guess i will have to jack one from the lincoln harness. Oh well if it was EASY PEASY it wouldn't be FUN right lol

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
DEAD IN THE WATER AGAIN!!!!!!!! computer said the hell with it so im gonna take a break on the car i cant keep shelling out cash for parts. Computer said "POP" and took a smoke break. I'm about to give up

Svt Fox

Staff member
DEAD IN THE WATER AGAIN!!!!!!!! computer said the hell with it so im gonna take a break on the car i cant keep shelling out cash for parts. Computer said "POP" and took a smoke break. I'm about to give up

That's no bueño!

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
yeah been texting kurt trying to figure out what may have happened but who knows. I just can win brother lol

Svt Fox

Staff member
yeah been texting kurt trying to figure out what may have happened but who knows. I just can win brother lol

I had a wire (fire) issue in my V8 S10 once. I smelled it, saw a light poof of smoke and immediately turned the key off. I was amazed at how quickly the wires burned up!

If you only cooked the computer, you got lucky! It could have burned the whole car to the ground!!

4whldisc

was it just the pcm that let the smoke out?? you may just have a bad pcm. did you test all the power & grounds at the pcm connector. if they test out good, test all the other wires for short to ground or short to power.

Autozone sells PCM's for you car, the good thing about that is they give a warranty in case they dont pass the stink-test.

the black/orange wire is the main battery wire to the alternator, it should have fusible links that go to the fuse box.

the 3 pin connector on top of the alternator is the control side to the voltage regulator, depending on which alternator you have on wire will be fused in the under hood fuse box & the other wire goes to the the cluster for the light. you must have a working batt charge light in the cluster or if the light goes out there is a resister hard-wired in paralell in the cluster or else the alternator wont work.

these 3 pin alternator connectors are cheap and you can usually find them at you local auto parts store. there should be one on your Lincoln harness.

what do you mean by no lights, are you talking about the panel lights that come on with the light switch,

OR

are you talking about the check eng light , battery light, airbag, abs etc?

OR

no lights at all.

just a question, does the cooling fan come on as soon as you turn the ign sw on?

is the cluster you have from a v6 or v8?

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
was it just the pcm that let the smoke out?? you may just have a bad pcm. did you test all the power & grounds at the pcm connector. if they test out good, test all the other wires for short to ground or short to power.

Autozone sells PCM's for you car, the good thing about that is they give a warranty in case they dont pass the stink-test.

the black/orange wire is the main battery wire to the alternator, it should have fusible links that go to the fuse box.

the 3 pin connector on top of the alternator is the control side to the voltage regulator, depending on which alternator you have on wire will be fused in the under hood fuse box & the other wire goes to the the cluster for the light. you must have a working batt charge light in the cluster or if the light goes out there is a resister hard-wired in paralell in the cluster or else the alternator wont work.

these 3 pin alternator connectors are cheap and you can usually find them at you local auto parts store. there should be one on your Lincoln harness.

what do you mean by no lights, are you talking about the panel lights that come on with the light switch,

OR

are you talking about the check eng light , battery light, airbag, abs etc?

OR

no lights at all.

just a question, does the cooling fan come on as soon as you turn the ign sw on?

is the cluster you have from a v6 or v8?
Yeah i got a computer on the way, I got alternator wired up i think its charging i checked it while at a idle and it was 14.3 volts, i dont have lights in the cluster i have lights everywhere else the cluster is from 94-95 GT, I think there is a re-pin of some of the wires required to run the older cluster, the fan is controlled by a adjustable relay so its not even connected to the main harness it just does its own thing.

Speedtospare

LOL I fried 2 Mach 1 computers. One wasn't really my fault, had a issues with a injector driver. The first one I actually sent reverse voltage into it. I was all like BBQ WTF (my son laughed at the at joke)

Keep at it. Took me 1.5 years to build mine.

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
Yea i keep on pluggin along on it, i wanted it done buy summer but i may have to wait running out of money lol all the parts are breakin me.